UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Camshaft journal bolts

Old 10-21-2010, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft journal bolts

My mate runs his own workshop and has just finished dealing with another mates S. His S had been suffering from lack of VTEC so checked all parts like solenoid and pressure check within the engine and every thing seemed fine. Having removed the rocker cover he discovered that no 4 of the camshaft journals had come loose and the camshaft had worn rendering the head useless even though the car drove fine. This may of been caused by some one tinkering about with it in the past.
Having found another engine to get replacement parts he stripped of the journals and found that they were not very tight either, this leads me to think there maybe a problem with these engines as they get older.
Has anyone experienced this problem when working on theirs?
Cheers

Matt
Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 AM

No idea on camshaft journals, but the map sensor would normally cause the symptoms your friend described there. Map whack or changing the o ring would have sorted the problem
Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 AM

MAP whack would have added the worn out metal to the cylinder head?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

MAP Whack cures everything including the common cold.It can make the dead rise up and the lame to walk.And when combined with an o ring change...........
Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Oct 21 2010, 04:38 AM
No idea on camshaft journals, but the map sensor would normally cause the symptoms your friend described there. Map whack or changing the o ring would have sorted the problem
if this fails try changing the air freshner !

Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a MAP whack and gained 35bhp and 6pounds of boost:>
Old 10-21-2010, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a serious note -

What composite guru has said I have seen on a 82k engine.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 AM

It worked for me when my car used to misbehave in traffic and wouldn't rev past 6k or engage VTEC.

The symptoms as described - good compression and no solenoid fault - seesm to me to be a Map sensor problem rather than a need to tear down the top end of the engine.

Only caveat is that I'm clueless with these things so I'm more than likely wrong
Old 10-21-2010, 06:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by razzele,Oct 21 2010, 02:17 PM
On a serious note -

What composite guru has said I have seen on a 82k engine.
Ah. Hardly statistically relevant, but put it all together & it might point to something.

Possibly a few are affected, since there have been many cars with far higher mileages & no problems.

Whether it's the result of ineptitude of idiots irritating their engines or another issue, it's twirly to tell.

Suffice it to say, we know how vibrations shake the oil filter loose.

Worth a precautionary sticky, because it wouldn't take long to click the cap bolts with a torque wrench come valve clearance time.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Thanks for that Nick, I wondered if it is worth telling the tech dept at Honda about the fault even though I have seen Swindons engine test cell and they run engines constantly for months and strip them down to see what's happening. You would of thought they would of picked the problem up by now.

Quick Reply: Camshaft journal bolts