UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Camera Detectors

Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera Detectors

Who uses what and which one do you think is the best?

Could use all the help I can get.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I use the pogo alert, it's excellent. GPS based

http://www.pogo-gps.co.uk/pogoalert.php
Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 PM

I was interested in a laser camera detector solution. Two things put me off:
- They are either illegal or will be illegal soonish enough
- Many say that by the time the laser detection unit has picked up the signal of a laser camera, its too late. You're basically relying on the laser signal from the camera hitting cars in front of you and 'scattering' their way to your detection unit in order to avoid getting recorded by the laser gun.

In the end, and also because I was also interested in a sat nav solution, I went for Snooper's S370 EU solution: Sat Nav and Camera alerts in one unit. The good thing being that you hook it up to the AURA database for updates on new camera locations - this is free for life.

http://shop.snooperdirect.com/product780186.html

I got it a few years ago now and I'm sure there are better solutions out there. It does the job in terms of camera alerts for all types apart from the laser guns.

Depends what kind of budget you're working with too.

EDIT:

Origin's B2 was a popular choice too but I believe they later became/got bought out by Pogo [mentioned above]. Their 'Alert' model gets many many good reviews - if I was buying again I'd seriously consider one.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
tej

I bought a TDS TR30, but its way out of date and I can't update it as the website says the serial number has been registered already (should have a 6month free update trial otherwise). However it was cheap £65 'as new'.

Seems to be pretty accurate on the ones it does pick up, but you can't fully mute the 'soft' alert which might get annoying.. picks up a GPS signal pretty quick and can be hard wired..

It also comes with a laser detector which I will be installing also, but its removeable so should be future proof if laser detectors become illegal.. however, they have been saying they are going to become illegal for years now.. however, if they do as I understand it there are rumours that they will ban any unit capable of picking up laser, including those with removeable laser sensors
Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 AM

Detectors - This is the one to get.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/stinger.htm

Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 AM

Still waiting for reviews on the new snooper 3zero:

http://www.snooper-evolution.co.uk/Snooper-3ZERO.php
Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 AM

Just buy a decent satnav like a Garmin or TomTom that has GPS fixed camera sites and drive sensibly
Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chet,Jan 16 2010, 09:56 PM
I was interested in a laser camera detector solution. Two things put me off:
- They are either illegal or will be illegal soonish enough
- Many say that by the time the laser detection unit has picked up the signal of a laser camera, its too late. You're basically relying on the laser signal from the camera hitting cars in front of you and 'scattering' their way to your detection unit in order to avoid getting recorded by the laser gun.
the last i heard, DETECTING cameras isnt illegal. infact, some groups say it assists drivers knowing where the blackspots are and take extra care. afterall, they are SAFETY cameras and not SPEED cameras.

jammers or any device that interfers with the signal sent out is illegal, although some models are a grey area.
theres a certain electric garage door opening system that the module on the car legitamitely opens the garage door, but also jams (laser?) speed...sorry, safety camera devices.

ofcourse, that was a few years ago - are you aware of new/planned laws to make detectors illegal in the UK?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Jan 17 2010, 10:08 AM
Just buy a decent satnav like a Garmin or TomTom that has GPS fixed camera sites and drive sensibly
No thanks.

Good advice though

I'm waiting to see what the 3 Zero is like also. Seems like too good to be true for the price.

I'm even considering the target LRC jammer
Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by sneakfish,Jan 17 2010, 09:44 AM
Still waiting for reviews on the new snooper 3zero:

http://www.snooper-evolution.co.uk/Snooper-3ZERO.php
It does look very good for the price. But will the same as below not apply?

Originally Posted by chet,Jan 16 2010, 09:56 PM

Quick Reply: Camera Detectors