UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

!calling Anyone In The Watford Area!

Old 07-13-2004, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !calling Anyone In The Watford Area!

To anyone with an enthusiasm to drive in the Watford area!

Can you tell me some good roads in that area to go for a mini-cruise with some friends over the weekend?

I am looking for a fast B possibly A road which has lots of bends in it, is little policed and has no gatsos on it. (Almost sounds like Utopia, doesn't it?!?!?)

I know the A411, Barnet Lane (connects the A41 to the A1) is not too bad.
There was also a post a while ago for some twisties around Berkhamstead.
Anymore for anymore?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:33 AM

not a B road, but an A road - not so much twisty.....but one of my
favs - the A414 between the M10 and Hatfield - got a lovely dog-bone (which creates a fast chicane) roundabout in the hatfield direction around London Colney.

simon
Old 07-13-2004, 01:49 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

The Berko post was mine.

Here is the route, take the A41 to Hemel, and then the A4146 Leighton Buzzard Road which is fun although watch out for the Gatsos in the 30 and 40 sections (you shouldn't be speeding in those section anyway).

At Dagnall, turn left at the roundabout onto the B4506 towards the Ashridge Estate and follow the road all the way to the A4251. Ths is very beautiful and can be quite fast but watch out for the Deer.

At the A4251 turn right towards Tring and pick up the A41, you then want to get on the old A41 towards Aston Clinton if you want a longer drive but if you want to head back to Watford, just take the A41 back home.

If you want a longer drive, you need to pick up the B4009 at Aston Clinton and follow this towards Wendover. A good little detour here is to take the left turn off the B4009 towards wendover woods and the golf club. I believe they used to use this road as a hillclimb race. When you get to the top of the hill, turn round and come back again and head back on towards Wendover.

When you reach Wendover you will approach a mini roundabout where you bear left towards the railway station. Go straight through the town, and straight ahead at the next mini roundabout, again towards the railway station. You will then go over a bridge over the railway.

Follow this road which goes up and down like a rollercoaster! and which has a spectacular view to your right, past a golf club on your right and take the first left at Butlers Cross. This is the road that runs past Chequers and is fabulous. It will take you all the way to Great Missenden.

At Great Missenden head towards the A413 and pick up the B485 towards Chesham, again a pretty fun road. Once at Chesham, pick up the B4505 to Bovingdon and on to Boxmoor/Hemel and then from Hemel head home.

This should keep you busy for a while!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jul 13 2004, 09:49 AM
The Berko post was mine.

Here is the route, take the A41 to Hemel, and then the A4146 Leighton Buzzard Road which is fun although watch out for the Gatsos in the 30 and 40 sections (you shouldn't be speeding in those section anyway).

At Dagnall, turn left at the roundabout onto the B4506 towards the Ashridge Estate and follow the road all the way to the A4251. Ths is very beautiful and can be quite fast but watch out for the Deer.

At the A4251 turn right towards Tring and pick up the A41, you then want to get on the old A41 towards Aston Clinton if you want a longer drive but if you want to head back to Watford, just take the A41 back home.

If you want a longer drive, you need to pick up the B4009 at Aston Clinton and follow this towards Wendover. A good little detour here is to take the left turn off the B4009 towards wendover woods and the golf club. I believe they used to use this road as a hillclimb race. When you get to the top of the hill, turn round and come back again and head back on towards Wendover.

When you reach Wendover you will approach a mini roundabout where you bear left towards the railway station. Go straight through the town, and straight ahead at the next mini roundabout, again towards the railway station. You will then go over a bridge over the railway.

Follow this road which goes up and down like a rollercoaster! and which has a spectacular view to your right, past a golf club on your right and take the first left at Butlers Cross. This is the road that runs past Chequers and is fabulous. It will take you all the way to Great Missenden.

At Great Missenden head towards the A413 and pick up the B485 towards Chesham, again a pretty fun road. Once at Chesham, pick up the B4505 to Bovingdon and on to Boxmoor/Hemel and then from Hemel head home.

Watch out for the unmarked and mark mobile speed traps along the leighton buzzard road.

They have really been using them last summer and alrady seen them this year also.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:31 AM

Hope the police don't look at this thread!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BerlinaTom,Jul 13 2004, 12:31 PM
Hope the police don't look at this thread!!!
Hence why I didn't specify exactly when on the weekend .... or do I really mean this weekend. Who knows, Mr Plod, who knows!

Thanks guys!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jul 13 2004, 09:49 AM
The Berko post was mine.

Top route, and goes right past my house! indeed Aston hill was used as a hill climb in ealrly part of last century - and it is where Aston Martin was orginally created....
but dont turn round at top of the hill, it gets even better the further you go up.. follow the signs to "The Hale", and this take you down past some fab pubs towards Wendover and Chequers... just watch out for the SAS if Mr Blair is at home...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i did Wendover and Chquers the other week when i was bored