UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Caliper problem

Old 10-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper problem

After doing the discs and pads all round recently, I drove back to Scotland with no imminent problems.

After a brief run there was a grinding noise coming from the rear left disc. After investigation I found the inside of the disc was half worn - the inboard pad was only contacting half of the disc.

I pulled back the disc shield to find the pad was sitting at an angle on the disc. I took the caliper off and checked if it was seized by pressing on the brake pedal ( with master cyllinder lid off ). It worked fine and i checked a couple of times!

Put it all back together with the pad sitting flush and gave her a short drive. Jacked her up and found that once again the pad had gone to the slanted position. I repeated this 3 times and still the problem persisted

And whilst I was there I noticed that the hub nut was loose, The witness marks still lined up like it was a manufacturer marking. I tightened it up and again the problem persisted.

Drove back to hampshire yesterday and today she was grinding again

Has anybody had a similar problem or can shed some light?!

Cheers
Marc
Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Did you line up the "crosshairs" on the piston so that it was vertical/horizontal?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

there is a nipple that sticks out of the back of the inner pad which needs to sit in the groove that runs across the piston.

If you didn't line up the piston correctly then that may well explain why your pad tipped.

Once it has tipped and worn unevenly you will never get it to sit correctly and it needs replacing.

As for the hub nut, the hub nut should be staked to prevent it coming loose.

If its loose you need to get a new nut, tighten it to the required torque setting (220NM from memory) and stake the nut.

Unless the hub nut its secure i wouldn't drive the car. You are at risk of that hub detaching itself from the car.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 PM

The inside pad has only worn on the outer edge of the disc.

When you reassemble the pads correctly, the outside pad will contact the disc on the inner edge of the disc only.

Since you have only recently changed the pads I would let them wear correctly, prob take the same amount of miles.

When you are reassembling make sure the pin is aligned in the crossshair by looking through the vent on the top of the caliper.

Align the crosshair with the vent before placing it on the pads for a reference mark.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Presuming the pad is correctly seated in the anti-rotation groove, then the clue is in the loose hub.

The pad's perpendicular; the disc ain't.

Sounds like serious attention required urgently.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Cheers for the input guys.

I did re-tighten the hub nut and restake by the way but just tweaked it as the torque wrenches are in work.

As for the pads, I was not aware there was a pin to line up with the piston so cheers for that!

I was contemplating filing off the excess paint on the edge of the pad where it sits in the shim and re-grease allow it to move more freely.

There is no massively excessive wear on the disc or the pad as Ive been using the brakes as little as possible
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Ok an update. I just removed the caliper and lined the grooves on the piston with the notches on the pad.

The grinding noise is still there. I span the disc with the pad back on and there was no grinding noise but a small (very faint whisper of a noise from the inner side of the driveshaft.

The noise gets louder going round right hand corners and almost dissapears when on left handers which leads me to a wheel bearing

Any ideas gents??

Marc
Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi i have recently had a gringing noise which did not sound like a bearing but it was if you do a search for my recent posts there is a link to a you tube video if it sounds like that then its a bearing.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Before you start spending, check for a trapped stone between the disc shield and the disc. Just a thought!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by sharksfinn,Oct 12 2010, 11:35 AM
Hi i have recently had a gringing noise which did not sound like a bearing but it was if you do a search for my recent posts there is a link to a you tube video if it sounds like that then its a bearing.
BINGO!!
Its almost exactly the same noise. My next step was to order 2 new rear hub nuts and torgue them up correctly!

I just hope it is the root of the problem!

I also found the hub nut loose last week, retightened in as best i could with mole grips but it came back soon after. I obviously never tightened enough!

Cheers and here's to hoping