UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Caliper issue/handbrake seized

Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bandit_287,Jul 22 2010, 10:55 PM
What's the price of 2 new rear calipers from bi at the moment? I have limited wifi and can't chech the website.
about £100/ea.

you will also get £30 refunded when you return your old ones back as it's a service exchange process.

prices are on BI site, but you need to click 'associated parts'.

edit: bi says £70/ea for rears! might be worth ringing them - looks like they've changed things slightly since i purchased a front recon unit.

edit2: im not sure on the handbrake linkage mechanism - i'd try a strip and clean first like others suggested if it's possible.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak,Jul 22 2010, 11:07 PM
Lol, some people are experts at wasting their money...

Sure run out and spend 600 quid on new calipers while you can mostlikely fix it with a bit of cleaner/grease and maybe a few quid worth of new parts.

Calipers are just big lumps of cast steel, not a lot can go wrong with that and all of the bits inside them can be replaced seperately so unless someone steals them from underneath your car I'll never see the need to buy complete new ones!
Ever looked at the cost of a seal kit and new piston for the rear caliper?

Then consider that for £70 exchange you can get a refurb that someone else has done for you?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JRT_Automotive - they are refurbished callipers by EBC, but are £90 each for the rears £70 for the fronts (posted last time I looked).

They have been fine for 18 month.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Refurb ones I can understand, buying brand new honda ones I don't
Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for fpr your replies everybody.

Im ow back from my 2600mile Eurotrip and had an amazing time...

Still have the handbrake disconnected,the actual calipers are fine,its just the handbrake mechanism on each caliper that is seizing up causing the brakes to bind.

I would like to fix it myself if possible and have replaced front calipers before on my Opel Manta but have never replaced a rear brake caliper with a disk brake mechanism so i have no idea how it operates.. Would anybody be able to explain how the handbrake works at the caliper end or be able to post up an exploded diagram? If this is not possible i'll get a couple of refurbed calipers from JRT or BI..

Thanks again..
Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 AM

The handbrake cable attaches to the caliper via a hook. That is connected to a spring on the back end of the caliper. I would trace the cable under the car and see if there any breaks in the cable outer to see if muck had got in. If the brakes are only binding with the handbrake attached then your calipers arnt the problem, it cable side.

Martin
Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 AM

fyi - handbrake adjustment if you require it is under the center console, almost directly below the 12v socket. either 1/4" socket or a spanner to adjust the nut.

as zudzilla says.... handbrake caliper is a regular caliper, but with the addition of a spring that acts on the rear of the piston when the handbrake is applied. also, it has a normal right hand thread to screw the piston back in (part of the handbrake auto-adjust mechanism) for when you change the pads.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 AM

The hook turns a shaft which turns a cam inside the caliper. IIRC that part comes out seperate from the rest of the gubbins, so you might be able to just remove that and regrease without disassembling the whole thing.

That's if it really is just the handbrake, which seems unlikely given that it's an S2000 and the rear brakes seize up every 5 minutes. I think it's more likely the whole thing is slightly seized and you only notice it with the handbrake because you leave the handbrake on for longer.

That's assuming it isn't just the cable.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 AM

Thats my thoughts Dembo. Having had 2 go on my last S2000 i'm thinking the same. The rear calipers on the S are a bag of crap!

I think i'll bell BI and get two new re-furbed ones ordered. It will give me piece of mind knowing that they are replaced...

Thanks again for the replies
Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Are these the correct calipers to buy??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Description says S2000/Civic

I'll bell them when they are open but just wanted to check with you experts first..

Quick Reply: Caliper issue/handbrake seized