UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Buzzy CAT

Old 12-07-2013, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall this is a reference to a doughnut shaped object which probably acts to seal the joint but my guess is the cat's honeycomb structure has debonded - at least that is what happened twice to me with OEM cats after 50k each time albeit in the second case it was a second hand one that has extra miles on top of that. I went Berk rather than get another OEM and although it struggled to get through the MOT on occasion. Not reached the 50k milestone yet on it.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:48 AM

Thanks for your comments, and thanks, SuperHamz, I have seen this, though it’s from an 02 (3 years older than mine) so not sure if I wouldn’t be getting the same problem again soon. If I do buy a replacement, it is likely to be the Berk HFC.

I still don’t understand what exactly the problem is with the thing. What is this ‘gauze thingy’? I thought the CAT was just a piece of pipe containing the catalytic converter. It took them all of 2-3 minutes to identify the problem, suggesting it is external, so a replacement CAT wouldn’t solve the problem and, perhaps, why the quote says ‘Converter comp’, implying there is more than one part.

It’s surprising that it got through the MOT 2 weeks ago?

Edit – just read Lusaka_MG’s post. The ‘doughnut shaped object’ could well be the problem. If so, is this integral?

I wish there was garage around here I could trust.

Off to squeeze under the car to see if I can see.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's enough clearance under the car to get a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqO...e_gdata_player

Basically the honeycombed element breaks free from inside the cat pipe but as it's bigger than the cat openings stays inside it rattling. The rattling then I would guess wears down the element until it gets smaller and rattles even more.

It will still pass an mot because the gases still pass through it until it fully disintegrates at which point you will also get a cel.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
There's enough clearance under the car to get a look.

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

Basically the honeycombed element breaks free from inside the cat pipe but as it's bigger than the cat openings stays inside it rattling. The rattling then I would guess wears down the element until it gets smaller and rattles even more.

It will still pass an mot because the gases still pass through it until it fully disintegrates at which point you will also get a cel.
Thanks, and I understand your point re MOT and the sound from your link is very similar. A new CAT it is then and time for a new thread