UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Buzzy CAT

Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Buzzy CAT

I was going to treat the wheels to a Christmas refurbishment, but it now seems this may not happen. I have just returned from my local Honda dealer as I have a rattle/buzz from the CAT area of the exhaust and without ramps it is hard to diagnose. Seems I need a new CAT at £1484.93 fitted, according to the very nicely spoken man at Honda.

The nice man tells me that the problem is the joint between the CAT and metal gauze part and that these 2 are parting company. I am not entirely sure what he means. He tried to explain it to ‘poor old thicky here’ but I was a bit distracted by the quote, to follow him. Have any of you got a pictures/images you can post to help this Wiltshire yokel understand what he was trying to explain?

Thanks

Phil

Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£1400 for a cat!!!! Must be one of those big bastard Maine coon cats.

You can get them used on ebay for about £100, maybe less.

Or new high flow cats for about £250

And sorry, no help on your question unfortunately.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil
I was going to treat the wheels to a Christmas refurbishment, but it now seems this may not happen. I have just returned from my local Honda dealer as I have a rattle/buzz from the CAT area of the exhaust and without ramps it is hard to diagnose. Seems I need a new CAT at £1484.93 fitted, according to the very nicely spoken man at Honda.

The nice man tells me that the problem is the joint between the CAT and metal gauze part and that these 2 are parting company. I am not entirely sure what he means. He tried to explain it to ‘poor old thicky here’ but I was a bit distracted by the quote, to follow him. Have any of you got a pictures/images you can post to help this Wiltshire yokel understand what he was trying to explain?

Thanks

Phil
You can check it without a ramp. Lay down and give the Cat a bit of a whack with the palm of your hand (when cool obviously) and you will hear the element rattle inside.

It's quite common and mine does it. I picked up a decat for £20 and a used cat for £28 off ebay but I got very lucky snapping those bargains. Even if I hate the decat and the used cat doesn't last long, Honda can stick their £1400 cat that fails after 60k miles and 8 years up their arse frankly
Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Yeah, don't ever spend that much on a brand new Honda cat! Either go for a low mileage 2nd hand one or a Berk High Flow one.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM

That is ludicrous, mine was in the same state this time last year. I picked a second hand one up from here and fitted it ~£60 all in
Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Mines doing the same , i quite like it , a raucous rattle !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't be asked to sort it at the moment , only seems to get really noisy above 6k rpm
Old 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Out of interest mine worsened over a period of time. I'm guessing it will eventually disintegrate until it's all gone like happened with an old Megane my mother drove a few years back.

Would this pose any danger to the engine?

I can already hear and feel the difference in back pressure at low RPM, not quite decat levels but there is a difference. Will it all shoot out of the back or can someone with a better knowledge than I offer up information on if any of this can move the other way at all?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a used one on sale in the For Sale & Wanted section, £45

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/105...cat-converter/
Old 12-07-2013, 01:36 AM

Mine failed and I replaced with a Berk Hi-flow CAT for £200. Quality item and the exhaust has a little more of a sporty sound.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Theshortsoundman
Mine failed and I replaced with a Berk Hi-flow CAT for £200. Quality item and the exhaust has a little more of a sporty sound.
Sneaky first post alert

Quick Reply: A Buzzy CAT