UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying from www.s2000-4u.co.uk

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by www.s2000-4u.co.uk,Mar 10 2008, 09:39 AM
Deposits

As in line with ALL CAR DEALERSHIPS deposits are only refundable when there is just cause.

However in the example of Bash UK we are not prepared to refund a deposit purely based on the fact that he has simply found a car elsewhere cheaper and whether you believe that comment or not that is the facts on the transaction.
My side of events:

(Sean & I have been in discussion via email, & whilst he is more helpful than Dominic the matter is still unresolved)

On Saturday 1st March I took a s2000 for a test & was told that if anything wasnt ok when I returned I would recieve my deposit back (also witnessed by my girlfriend). I laid the deposit down as i did not want to lose out on the car & asked for the two illegal rear tyres to be changed. Later in the week I stumbled upon this thread & found out about the companies unsavoury history. I did a RAC Check on the car which brought up more owners that was previously thought to be true & after seeing various complaints here I did not believe the cars mileage to be genuine. I lost faith in the company and decided to withdraw from the sale - i didnt think this would be a problem as someone on here just 2 weeks ago had his deposit refunded because he had found a cheaper car.

Sean insists it was a misunderstanding & that I was not told it was not refundable. This is where the problem lies. I am now [B]
Old 03-10-2008, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=www.s2000-4u.co.uk,Mar 10 2008, 09:39 AM]
Lastly Juventino ............

Attached is a description from a Audi dealer of the Porsche you came to see the car had a fsh as described on the Add and all tyres were legal
Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 PM

These are my generalised thoughts and not aimed at any particular folks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm always suprised by the controversy over deposit money.

I always work on the basis that generally a second hand car will not be what it's claimed to be, and also, there's always going to be another round the corner.
Photographs on a website will always flatter even the poorest cars.

To me S2000's are not so rare to justify giving a stranger your hard earned money as a "deposit". There are in excess of 350 on Autotrader as I write (and yes some will be "ghost-ads")

You wouldn't pay money over the phone for a car you've never seen, and you also wouldn't corrupt your negotiation position by giving someone leverage over you?

The only reason a dealer looks for deposit money is for leverage. Plain and simple. If he doesn't have your cash in his pocket, he'll work that bit harder to ensure you don't simply walk off his forecourt.

I'd take the risk and not put the money down, every time, even stacked against the risk of travelling to see the car and it being sold.

I'm sure dealers will cite claims of people that don't turn up to view, but to be honest that will always happen in a market where people have dreams beyond their means. First come, first served.

With regard to deals where tyres were promised, dents fixed, or additional road tax etc.... Simply make sure the dealer is aware in writing (on his paperwork) that you expect these items and will not accept the car without the these items being furnished on the agreed day of collection. The only alternative is cash discount on the spot when you collect (set the value when you do the deal, and make sure t is in your favour)

Once someone has your money (pre-deal or post-deal), you leverage is gone, unless you cherish high blood pressure and months of stress.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 AM

Referance our earlier post .

BASH UK ...........

You drove the vehicle you wanted to purchase, You viewed the vehicle paperwork The salesman agreed to replace tyres [they were not illegal] with brand new Bridgestones indeed all items were agreed and discussed and itemised upon your order form .

Order forms are very specific the deposit WAS NOT REFUNDABLE i have sent you various e mails .

For the benefit of the Forum if a test drive is carried out in our Demo vehicle due to ease as it is always fuelled /taxed etc then any one purchasing a car on site of which they have not driven will be subject to a test drive and the deposit fully refundable if they are not happy with the actual drive in the actual car they are purchasing .

BASH UK This matter needed to be cleared up on this forum .

Thankyou forum leaders for your positive Pro active unbiased approach it would be great if we could all work together People such as Scoffs[ i am sure he will not mind me saying this ] have my personal e mail address i will answer any issues people have .

I do not have much involvement with the day to day running of the dealership due to other business interests however the team know there stuff and 99% of customers give glowing testomonials on them But i want this Forum to work for all of us and i will do everything in my powers to make sure genuine users get a genuine fair service .

Therefore e mail any queries /Questions/Concerns i will do my upmost to give you answers .

This is not a sales ploy as we struggle to supply the demand as it is but it is a offer for nervous individuals to get there answers it will be there choice as to whether they attend the dealership or not .

Sean Horsey.
S20004U...........................
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=www.s2000-4u.co.uk,Mar 11 2008, 12:13 AM]You drove the vehicle you wanted to purchase, You viewed the vehicle paperwork The salesman agreed to replace tyres [they were not illegal] with brand new Bridgestones indeed all items were agreed and discussed and itemised upon your order form .

Order forms are very specific the deposit WAS NOT REFUNDABLE
Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bash_UK,Mar 11 2008, 08:41 AM
Sean you did not make this clear, I have been mislead by you. I was given the impression that I could give things a final check over when I came to collect.
Bash UK - apologies if I've missed this in previous posts, but what was actually wrong when you checked things over?

And I don't mean what did you hear about the company etc... I mean what was different between what you said you wanted to buy on the order form, and the actual car presented to you on day of collection?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by schofs,Mar 11 2008, 12:45 AM
Bash UK - apologies if I've missed this in previous posts, but what was actually wrong when you checked things over?
I hadnt actually finished checking the car, I did some online checks and now do not believe the car to have genuine mileage amongst other things - they have taken possesion of the car twice. To quote from the first page...

they ripped off 3 people that i know of in the mr2 club by clocking cars, selling a car on the basis that they would do certain work prior to sale and then denying all knowledge of that work when the money had changed hands.

as i say, the company may now be trading honestly and i might be miles off the mark, but as four marks they were investigated and charged with clocking cars by trading standards. it came about when one of the mr2 club members traded in a celica as a part ex on a mr2. if memory serves correctly it went in with 96k miles on it and when he went to collect his new car a week later, his old car was on the forecourt with only 56k miles on it. the name changed probably came about because fourmarks went bust and a lot of people knew they were dodgy through the car clubs.
Sean, can you comment on this ^

Not too mention all the warranty issues and I found a page on a guy that had lost
Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by www.s2000-4u.co.uk,Mar 10 2008, 05:39 PM
As a company we felt it was about time to come on to the Forum and answer publically a few comments...........

..... Sorry but these comments are blatant lies.
Sean,
While I understand the intention is to clear the air, and have balanced discussion, and provide S2000-4U's point of view.....Indeed this is what I'm interpreting from your recent posts.

But to include a statement worded like this from a professional organisation I find staggering.

Even if you are 100% in the right, such language only serves to paint a dim view of your organisation.

Just my
Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 AM

Did you ask them to prove the mileage with documents?

If you back out of a deal because of information you've come by before signing an agreement, that's fine.

If you back out of a deal after starting to pay money towards it, that's calledcutting your losses.

I don't mean to be so matter of fact, but if the mileage on the car was different to that on the docs, then definitely get your money back.... But if it's just a feeling you get, then that's not fair on the dealer
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by schofs,Mar 11 2008, 01:00 AM
Did you ask them to prove the mileage with documents?

If you back out of a deal because of information you've come by before signing an agreement, that's fine.

If you back out of a deal after starting to pay money towards it, that's calledcutting your losses.

I don't mean to be so matter of fact, but if the mileage on the car was different to that on the docs, then definitely get your money back.... But if it's just a feeling you get, then that's not fair on the dealer
You would be correct if Sean had not said that if anything wasnt OK on collection then I would be refunded my deposit. - I have checked this with trading standards.

Quick Reply: Buying from www.s2000-4u.co.uk