UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying from www.s2000-4u.co.uk

Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They get on, but I think each gives a different impression about who's the boss.

I think they're basically 2 companies that are merging... but to be honest I've stopped trying to work out the complexities because I'd never get a straight answer anyway (especially with their past).

I only found this forum (and this thread) after putting down the deposit... going only by my personal experiences of what happens after you've agreed to buy a car I'd never trust them.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Browsing through the earlier posts here, I seem to remember Sean's company used to be for MR2s that received a customary clocking... that's only from reading here mind.

While I wouldn't say the cars on their site now are clocked, I know their listings aren't accurate.

e.g. Mine was listed as 60K, but reality was 64K. It was also listed as having a CD changer (which it didn't).

I did a PX on my car which had around 96/97K on the clock (and MOT from August says 95K). It's up on the site with 92K, and it's mysteriously gained Air Con and a passenger airbag.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:56 PM

my second S from them has been as good as gold, the reason i'm on my second S is because the first had problems and had to go back , but that was a fight

brief story (if you've not read the whole thread)

car had funny noise at high speed, looking under car i noticed bolts missing from gearbox . so a quick phone call to see what can be done and was told i did this by driving too fast (that is no word of a lie)

new clutch had been fitted a month before i got the car so the very helpfull Mr Horsey wiped his hands of it and told ME to take it to the Honda garage that fitted the clutch. the Honda garage were infact very apolegetic and bent over backwards to try to sort the car but it transpired that there were other faults with the car that were still present (yes they f#####d the car but its the way they treated me like a human being that impressed me. Mr Horsey talks to people like their dog has just taken a dump on his lawn)

a quick call to consumer direct stated that i should not have had to take the car to the garage because it was up to the SELLER to sort these problems out with the garage

because this proved i was sold a faulty car he had to relent and give me another car

i wouldn't recomend this place to anyone
Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Hello !

I'm looking for an S2000 at the moment and am going to S2000-4-U
tomorrow to look at a car.

What should I check for other than the usual ware and tare / damage / service history ?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should read this whole thread very carefully, that will tell you everything you need to look out for.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 AM

To be honest, the faults are with them, not so much the cars.

The main points I'd give you are:

1) Have you got a link to it? People on here should be able to tell you what it's really worth - Sean will knock 500 quid off, but no more, so if that's still to much, take your time and walk away.

2) Check the exact miles on the clock against what you've been told. Expect the items that the car apparently has (autochanger etc.) to be wrong. Believe your eyes and expect nothing more.

3) There is a good chance the one you're looking at won't be easy to get out to have a look at (it'll probably be on the forecourt boxed in by 10 other cars. Therefore you won't get much of a chance to see it. They'll say any little scratches and things will be fixed before you get it. IF YOU DON'T POINT THEM OUT TO HIM, THEY WON'T, and he'll deny ever saying that. So even if he has to wait for you for half an hour and serve another customer, take more time than usual to check every panel for scratches, dents etc.
Take a check list and work through it based on the buying guide on this forum.

4) Treat it as though it were a private sale, with no aftercare, and no warranty.

5) If you get a Finance quote, the first one he give you won't be at a good rate. Say it's a bit much and he'll do you a 1% better rate. To be honest, only have in mind the monthly payment... and then expect them to add about 6 quid to it when you sign on the line because he won't have mentioned arrangement fees etc. and the APR will be different to what he quoted.

6) If you agree to buy a car, as much as you'd love to collect it as soon as it's ready, arrange to collect it in the morning, not in the afternoon. If they ring and say it won't be ready til the afternoon, collect it the following day. This is because they will want to rush you through everything when you finally see the car all prepped and don't want you to notice anything you didn't notice before, and they want to get your money and get you out of the door.

7) Also, check Honda websites... there's a very good chance Sean will talk you into buying a newer car than you'd origianlly thought you could afford. Have a look at what Honda are selling them used for... it's likely not to be far off, and you'd get a proper warranty and after sales care with them.

8) Get it RAC/AA etc. Inspected, even if it means a delayed delivery date.

9) If you need to do a number plate transfer, do it yourself.

So yeah... my biggest point there being treat it like a private sale... be happy enough with the car and the deal that you could walk away and never deal with them again.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Good one Schofs - certainly agree with a fair few of the points there. As I said, when I saw this thread I went straight to DEKRA and went for the inspection and all turned out to be ok.

Sean did replace one of the seats which was scuffed, which I pointed out, but the stone-chips and scratches were never done, as was promised.

I think it's a case of buyer beware. I'm not sure Sean is any worse than any other 2nd hand dealer; you need to trust your own eyes and know what you're talking about. Knowledge is power in any situation and this thread will give you exactly that - it might seem like pages to read, but I would do so before you head down there. And then form your own opinion once you get there.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 AM

in short it appears that if you get a good car then you will have no problems

if you get a problematic car dont expect to get any help from them post purchase.

with these guys you appear to get no more support than when buying from a private seller yet you pay dealers prices.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rapscallion,Jan 18 2008, 09:32 AM
in short it appears that if you get a good car then you will have no problems

if you get a problematic car dont expect to get any help from them post purchase.

with these guys you appear to get no more support than when buying from a private seller yet you pay dealers prices.
Correct. But I've generally found private sellers to list things honestly... these guys don't.

And absolutely don't believe you'll get a warranty of any sort, no matter what they say.

Quick Reply: Buying from www.s2000-4u.co.uk