UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying from www.s2000-4u.co.uk

Old 04-22-2005, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=GTFCTIM,Apr 22 2005, 10:17 AM]Sorry William, but I would not have been too happy with that deal, unless you stole it from him.

MoT forgotten
Were they the correct rear tyres?
If he agreed a full tank of fuel, I would have expected that.
2nd hand car mats!
Not mentioning it may be an import, and then only offering a
Old 04-22-2005, 01:39 AM

I would contact trading standards, Sale of Goods act etc....

But I have arsey Italian in my blood!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:47 AM

Irrespective who you buy from get someone like DEKRA to check it out.

What do you get for your
Old 04-22-2005, 02:02 AM

I agree with all above, you will loose alot more than
Old 04-22-2005, 02:04 AM

Wow that was a quick set of replies!

I'm working from home today and work hasn't been on the agenda yet.

To clear up something about the import issue. I failed to ask Sean whether the car was an EU import before I put down the deposit. When I asked at a later date he did eventually say that the car was one. See first post by me for full explanation. I did find out that there is virtually no difference between an EU import and UK spec car and in the long term there shouldn't be any difference in the price. I don't plan on selling the car for 3-4 years and by then it will be around 7 years old with 100k on the clock. I did discuss this with Sean before paying the full amount for the car.

The full tank of fuel and car mats is something that I was annoyed about, but then again I put that down to my own experience.

The rear tyres were the correct ones for the car, I checked that.

As for the MOT issue, I did ask what happens if it fails then Sean said return the car to him to be fixed. I figured that this wouldn't make any difference to him doing the MOT in the first place. If he is using his 'own' garage to get the car MOT then what difference would it make?

At the end of the day like anything that you buy that is used, it's up to the buyer to be happy with the purchase and I was relatively happy so far.

You're right with these (minor) issues there may be more wrong with the car which I haven't been told about. Then again it does still have a months of manufacturers warranty left and only 8k in miles which is one thing that swung the deal for me.

Like I said before Sean is running a private business and I never expect great service from a used car salesman. Like most people I generally don't have that high an opinion of them, but that's the general reputation that they have with the public.

Also I'm normally the first person to complain if I'm not happy with something, ask my local Mazda dealership how many times I've questioned one thing or another.

I wouldn't say that S2000-4U is as good as going to a franchised dealer, but then again for the price that they sell cars for I wouldn't expect that. You really do pay your money and take your chances.

Sean and S2000-4U can do a great deal to improve their level of customer service and after sales support but then again I don't expect great after sales support when buying from a used car dealer. Maybe that's just me.

Hmm, after re-reading your replies to my posts maybe I should be more annoyed and should I have complained some more. But then again I am deliriously happy that I have an S2000 in my garage which probably doesn't help my normal judgement.

I knew there was a reason for bringing someone else along to pick up the car, someone who would have a more balanced judgement rather than my insane grinning at buying an S2000.

I'd better get on and do some work now. Once again thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Must admit I never thought to ask my dealer if my car will be an import. Apparently its coming from Japan!!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if your car does fail its mot and you take it back, i'll bet
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rafael,Apr 22 2005, 11:02 AM
If he is aware it is an imported car he is legaly obliged to pass that information on to you (and not after the deal is done!)
Not exactly. It's a case of let the buyer beware - the seller isn't obliged to volunteer the information, but he must disclose it if specifically asked about the car's origins. If he doesn't, it constitutes an actionable misrepresenation, and he opens himself up to a claim for the difference between the market value of a UK sourced car and that of a Euro (or JDM, as appropriate) import.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:38 AM

He should declare if its a UK car or not - as this materially affects the cars price - most people devalue the price of an import by at least a grand
Old 04-22-2005, 02:40 AM

So why would a seller want to volunteer that and risk losing a grand, Bingo? As I said, if asked, the answer must be honest - but if the buyer doesn't bother to ask, that's his own fault for not doing the due diligence properly.

Quick Reply: Buying from www.s2000-4u.co.uk