UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying a warranty or new car ?

Old 04-24-2003, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a warranty or new car ?

I wonder if anyone can help

A couple of months ago I bought a 1999 model privately which was checked out by Peter Brookes (Sheffield) and the AA. The only problem with it was the clutch vibration on overrun - but I can live with that - I quite like the growling sound.

The problem I've got is myself and the missus love the car and are concerned that at 4 years old and with no warranty that if it goes pop that it'll cost a fortune to put right.

I'd like to buy a warranty for the car - but have no idea how to go about it - will I be able to get one from honda or do I have to get one independently - if so where and what would it cost ? Failing that I would consider trading it in for either a new one or one that still has a chunk of warranty left. Or am I being over cautious ?

As this is my first post - I've got another question - does anyone know of a decent honda dealer in the Leeds area as the next service is due in a couple of months.

Cheers Stummo.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get one from Honda, it can be bought in 1,2 or 3 year chunks, phone round a few and you might even get a discounted one if they want your business. (Mine even has the Honda AA assistance on, and covers EVERYTHING apart from your consumables and the 2 airbags ). They do do another version that doesn't cover as much so be aware.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:54 AM

I'm not sure if you can buy a Honda warranty if the old one has run out and the car has been without a Honda warranty for a period of time. I've a feeling you can only extend the warranty, but once it has lapsed you can't purchase a new one.

I may be wrong of course.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
I'm not sure if you can buy a Honda warranty if the old one has run out and the car has been without a Honda warranty for a period of time. I've a feeling you can only extend the warranty, but once it has lapsed you can't purchase a new one.

I may be wrong of course.
I know its definately cheaper, buying it in warranty, (obviously if you bought it with the car 2 months old they would be happy to have your cash sitting for nearly 3 years , perhaps this second version (I'm thinking now it comes without AA Honda assistance also) is what they offer to cars outside of the 3 year?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:39 AM

UK Paul is actually an exeptional case - he managed to extend he warranty with the SAME cover as before.

Hondas standard warranty extension does not cover EVERYTHING. Most importantly it doesn't cover interior or exterior trim which means in effect it is only a mechanical warranty. If thats your worry then go for it but phone round to get the best deal.

However, as neil said these are referred to as "extended" warranties so not sure if they can be bought seperately if the normal warranty has expired some time ago??
Old 04-25-2003, 01:55 AM

how much is the Honda extended warranty as I will be taking this out when the time comes
Old 04-25-2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by UK Paul
perhaps this second version (I'm thinking now it comes without AA Honda assistance also) is what they offer to cars outside of the 3 year?
Everyone on the board has the same "aftermarket" type warranty regardless of when it was bought. You got special treatment from your dealer Paul......and got the full warranty equal to the first 3 years. You cannot buy this from a dealer.

I bought mine when my car was 2 and half years old. I would be very surprised if anyone on this board gets an extended warranty to the SAME level of cover as the original 3 years (other than Paul of course - early s2000 customer and therefore paid original price prior to reduction)
Old 04-25-2003, 02:27 AM

Stummo
I use Dixon Honda in Armley and have never had a problem, I have also used Devries Honda in York, again no problem there.

Don't use Dixon Honda in Horsforth, I had a crap experience with them when trying to arrange a test drive.

Fletch uses someone in Ossett I am sure he will add anything relevant if its a "no go zone".

HTH
Marc
PS Beware if you go to Dixon Armley they have a few S's kitted up with HKS stuff, it can turn nasty if you take your CC
Old 04-25-2003, 02:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]

Everyone on the board has the same "aftermarket" type warranty regardless of when it was bought.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:03 AM

All honda UK or dealer warranties come with AA assistance.

I don't get this? Why the hell is there two types of warranties that cost the same but carry different cover?! I'm not convinved your warranty is openly available......

A call to Honda UK will clarify this.....

Quick Reply: Buying a warranty or new car ?