UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying a high milage S

Old 11-13-2003, 09:05 AM
MrV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a high milage S

Ok guys looks to me like the latest S for sale on the board could be the bargin that myself and the Vixen are looking for ,

so time to ask the question to you guys that have S's with high mileage on them ,what are they like with 60+ on the clock, do you find that you have any more squeaks,rattles on them ? Does everything else still hold up on them ie interior ,outside trim etc ,dont need a full break down on everything that can go wrong with the higher mileage ones just some pointers as to what we could let ourselfs in for

many thanks James and Carrie
Old 11-13-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Better get in there quick cause it is at a *very* good price..

UK_S2000 (Mike) has done a high milage in his S2000 and I don't think he has had any problems with it.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don`t know about that particular car but it does state all service history which is good.

Personally, I think Honda engines are pretty bullet proof when looked after. They open up nicely. Cars these days, if oiled well, last.

I`ve had vehicles upto 190k no problem. Noony had an Accord over 170k on the same clutch.

Be quick looking at that puppy, it`ll fly off the shelf.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:25 AM

with the honda engine it justs gets better and better the more it is run in, but just make sure you take it on a long test drive with lots of differing road surfaces/speeds.

Enjoy xx
Old 11-13-2003, 10:35 AM

Might not be that helpful but have a gander at this
Old 11-13-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by The Boy Wonder
Might not be that helpful but have a gander at this
Yes - I was reading that thread earlier - over 100k miles and he's had nitros and a supercharger on the engine without any major failures.

Very impressive indeed
Old 11-13-2003, 12:02 PM

Only 45K on mine, all it's needed were new wiper blades.

I'm sure it might like a new set of pads at the next service
Old 11-14-2003, 12:47 AM

Still not done Rob? !!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:54 AM

I've done nearly 66k in mine and (touchwood) I've not had one problem. I get it serviced every 9-10k miles and keep an eye on the old oil levels, etc.

It has had a new set of wiper blades and 4 new pads, but other than that it hasn't needed anything else. (Other than usual parts during servicing)

In terms of the interior, one of the driver seat bolsters is starting to give so I shall need to try and get a new seat (I just need to check this is covered on the extended warranty). If not, I think I will be getting a nice shiny racing seat. The hood clips rattle from time to time, which people seem to suffer even with low mileage cars. The plastic rear screen is a bit of a pain and is probably my only complaint. My car spends an awful long time with the hood down ( ) so it has a crease along it which can make visibilty a problem from time to time.

As for the exterior, the paintwork looks good (apart from a couple of stonechips). The hood has started to fade a little, but you wouldn't notice unless you parked it next to a brand new one. I'm going to buy some Autoglym stuff which should restore it to some of its former glory.

I certainly wouldn't have any quarms in buying a high mileage S based on my experiences. As long as it has a FHSH I don't think you can go too far wrong.

Get your cheque book out now!

Here are some very recent pics of mine and have to say she's still looking hot.

http://gallery.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/image/list/6098/
Old 11-14-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problems, dont worry i would say its fine mine has 73000miles now i have full history but that dose not mean everything so ask if all recal work as been completed as my clutch was not done so you cant rely on all dealers!!!!!!
havin said that nothing serious is wrong but iit dose suffer with the seat swab on driver seat but you can live with that.

Quick Reply: Buying a high milage S