UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Button signs for BAR!

Old 07-23-2002, 02:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Button signs for BAR!

A good move I'm sure, will he get a Japanese co-driver?

Tif, that sweater has now become top prize!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Short of staying with Renault, I believe this is the best move Jenson could have realistically hoped for. I think the Honda/Richards effect will start to show next season.

Good luck Jenson

PS - I would be amazed if his team mate next year was not JV.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave Richards is giving nothing away on who is leaving though....
Old 07-23-2002, 02:57 AM

Hes trying to force JV's hand, says he needs him to commit until 2005. Problem would be JV's salary, Richards has been openly moaning about costs and his salary.

Personally I think this is likely to have a negative affect on JV and it wouldnt surprise me if walked away from F1 and returned to IRL.

Heard a rumour that Toyota are trying to sell engines to Jordan, it does appear that Honda's favourites are BAR.

Interesting Stories developing, I just hope Honda and Bar get the car sorted so that its competitve with the big boys.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JV is meant to be staying, Panis is a bit miffed apparently but there is a rumour that they may commit to him ALSO!! Rumour mill says with the demise of Arrows / Peugeot and future of JAG now in doubt??? there could be scope for three cars from each of the rest of the Teams!!
Old 07-23-2002, 05:59 AM

What does the existing Concorde agreement specify? I know that it was not unheard of to run 3 or so cars per team back in the 60's, are there any preclusions to this now?

Hell, the lower end of the grid could probably do this quite easily (engine contratcs aside) as their driver budget wouldn't be too bad and they could perhaps generate extra revenue. I couldn't imagine McLaren running 3 cars though!! <imagining Ron Dennis' face >
Old 07-23-2002, 06:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tifosi Red
[B]What does the existing Concorde agreement specify?
Old 07-23-2002, 06:23 AM

hmmm it looks to me that the lower order teams have been better able to get reliable cars on the grid than the big guns at a lot of races this season Ian! looking at a %'age of budget lower order teams must pay less than the likes of BAR, Ferrari to their drivers...

I'm not in favour of it myslef, I think too much pressure to run and maintain 3 race cars and at least one T car would offset any potential increase in their chance to make inroads into the manufacturers championship. I used McLaren as an example as they have struggled mightily this year to get really competitive works power plants for 2 cars, the R&D budget for the improvements seen recently would have been hard to come by if production costs had been 33% higher... IMO of course
Old 07-23-2002, 06:42 AM

I agree that it does not sound like a very healthy way for F1 to progress - my, the problems team orders seem to cause the general F1 viewing public with 2 cars per team - think what it would be like with No1, 2 and 3

It is generally true that the top teams pay their drivers more (though No's 2 and 3 in the pay scale - after Schuey of course - are JV and fast Eddie . However, as for the top teams paying a larger proportion of their budgets to their drivers than the smaller teams, whilst I dont have the figures, I somehow doubt it The budgets for Minardi et al are tiny. (Well, tiny in F1 terms, but still the size of the total GDP of most 3rd world countries )
Old 07-23-2002, 06:55 AM

wages vs budgets?? How much do you reckon Mr Sauber pays his 2 lads (in bags of sweets ) vs Eddie & Pedro or Jacques & Jenson? I'll ignore Williams & Ferrari as they really do have a seemingly unlimited cash pot at the moment!

Sauber might be an excpetion but I can't see Mark Webber getting rich out of Paul Stoddart and Alex Yoong is a pay driver in all but name.... I think Bernoldi is bringing TW a lot more money than he banks too, and doesn't TW get the services of HHF for free this season?

Quick Reply: Button signs for BAR!