UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buffeting - soft top up

Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffeting - soft top up

Now I know the S2000 isn't all abpout refinement but since owning my S2000 I have become obsessed with making my car the best I can.

My car is an 02 so glass rear screen, the roof is in overall good condition and I have no leaks etc.

I mainly use the car on sunny days for some roof down fun but on the occasions when I have to put the roof up to cope with our frequent showers I have noticed that above 75 you get a fair amount of wind buffeting noise, just like when someone opens the rear window in a saloon car, is this normal or are some adjustments required ?

Cheers all
Old 08-05-2012, 11:26 AM

I also have an MY02, but have never suffered from this problem (when driving abroad )
Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 AM

I know mine is far louder with the soft top up rather than the hard top, you've basically got a 70mph+ wind hitting the canvas but what you describe sounds like air coming into the cabin.

For me the sound is definitely the fabric reverberating with the wind not any change in air pressure inside the cabin like you would get from an open window.

I'd have someone point a torch round the inside of the roof when it's dark and see if there much leakage other then the obvious windows.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Mine did this above 55 ish.

I added a large diameter washer under each windscreen sticker plate. This slightly lowers the leading edge of the fabric roof. Now shes a lot better right up to some strong speeds.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Thank you will give both suggestions a try, there is a very small tear/wear showing in the usual place, drivers side by the hinge, I wonder if this letting in too much wind and causing the buffetting I experience, its definetly localised to the rear area of the roof/window.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM

I had this problem - new header rail catches sorted it
Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 PM

I have this too, the roof seems a bit loose in the panel that holds the glass, not sure if there's any way to tension or adjust the rear part of the roof though?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Glad I'm not alone on this one, I was beginning to wonder if I was just too fussy or spoilt

I suppose I'll try in order of cost to solve this minor issue, These S2000 really get under your skin and inside your wallet for sure
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
I had this problem - new header rail catches sorted it
Can you remeber how much you paid, ease of fitting etc ?

Cheers
Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

he might mean hardtop strikers as opposed to the soft top ones. I'd try adding shims first as suggested above, that may well cure it. IIRC 2mm or 3mm shims between the striker plates and the screen frame should be enough.

Fitting is dead easy.

Remove the left and right A pillar trims.
Unclip the light cover
Unscrew the two bolts and drop the light unit down and unplug it.
Remove the left and right visors
Pull the plastic screen trim down so it unclips
Unbolt the striker plates and either add shims or replace the plates with new ones.
Put it back together.

Can be done in less than 20 minutes

Quick Reply: Buffeting - soft top up