UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Broken Roof Catch

Old 03-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Roof Catch

Hi all,

I have just taken the hardtop off my '02 and found that the roof catch on the driver's side is broken - difficult to explain, but when you push it up into it's final 'closed' position it doesn't 'click in'. (This also explains the rattle coming from it when the HT was on!)

Have been down to Chiswick Honda and they'll sell me the roof catch mechanism for
Old 03-19-2005, 09:58 AM

Unless you are 100% sure that it is broken and needs repair, try to hang on until someone from here has a look.

Can't they be adjusted ?

Any meets you could attend to get a second opinion? It just seems to be the standard dealership solution to buy the whole part.

Noony.
(I have no experience of this problem though.)
Old 03-19-2005, 10:11 AM

Noony,
I've had a chat with Honda and they only do the whole mechanism as a part - mildly rediculous given that the catch is made up of about 400 pieces!

I've had a close look and you can see where a 'bit' (technical talk I know) of it has broken off, so it either needs a new 'bit' or a whole new release mechasnism.

Looking in the gubbins, when you press the button on the side theres a large(ish) black 'bit' that moves back and forwards and locks the catch in place - this has broken off...

Am currently in negotiations with gf re. attendance at N.Hants meet!!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Not sure what the problem is.

This must be the best excuse for ditching the HT and confining it to the furthest recesses of the garage that I can think of
Old 03-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There is a list of breakers at the top of the For Sale & Wanted forum, along with list of cars for sale, try that for breakers.

Alternatively PM SanMarinoCpe - he is Joe, and is Hardtopguy (www.hardtopguy.com) brother, works there. They are a USA honda dealer who do cheap parts. I say PM him as the shipping quoting system on their site gives silly quotes. Ask him to quote for the part, and shipping by USPS You'll find it a lot cheaper
Old 03-19-2005, 10:19 AM

Unfortunately problem-catch is on the soft top....grrr...

Problem is that the catch pings down and unlocks at random moments...wouldn't want it happening at speed...
Old 03-19-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Honda-music,Mar 19 2005, 06:45 PM] Have been down to Chiswick Honda and they'll sell me the roof catch mechanism for
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks AquilaEagle and StevenM

Am a bit of a newbie here and hadn't spotted the breakers list....
Old 03-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Honda-music, where abouts in London are you, I am in Hemel and AE isn't too far away if you need a second opinion, if the catch is available seperately I can look on the EPG and get the part number.

Simon
Old 03-20-2005, 01:55 AM

Thanks Simon
Got the part number from Chiswick Honda - will check out a few breakers yards in the week.
Also, I notice from another thread that Chiswick deals with a few pretty smashed up cars so will give their service dept a call and see if I can blag an old (cheaper!) one

Quick Reply: Broken Roof Catch