UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Breakdown!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My best advice would be to take the cam cover off and have a check of the cams etc. I can't be sure what caused my issue, I have a feeling that the heat from the loose plug may have caused a cam bearing to seize, which in turn caused my spectacular failure.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulF
My best advice would be to take the cam cover off and have a check of the cams etc. I can't be sure what caused my issue, I have a feeling that the heat from the loose plug may have caused a cam bearing to seize, which in turn caused my spectacular failure.
Yes that's kind of what I want them to do, also as UncleFester suggested, getting the sump taken off to check for any cr@p having gone down further. If it doesn't look too bad then hopefully the head can be repaired and all will be well with some fresh plugs and coils and fluids. I think if it turns out that way then I'll get them to inspect the timing chain, and valve retainers and do the valve clearances too while they are in there.

Thanks for all the advice guys, most appreciated!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 AM

So at the risk of taking my own thread off topic... I'm just off the phone with my insurance company. My wife and I have a multi car policy with them and both got quoted good prices. I wanted to enquire about adding an additional car, for getting to work while mine is off the road, and then I'd keep it at least for the winter. They can't do it, as their 'multi-car' policy is really just linking 2 partners policies together and giving each a discount! I got a new quote for the temporary car while I was on the phone, a MY2000 H-RV worth £1000, no no claims discount as they are already using it on my S - £600!! I think this is way ott and makes the prospect of a second car much less appealing!

So does anyone know of a more cost effective way of doing this? My initial thoughts are to find someone who will duplicate my no claims or swapping my S back to a classic car policy (did this last year when I was working away and the car was hardly getting used) and swapping the current one to the replacement car using the no claims bonus...I guess I could swap the policy to the new car and sorn the S once I get it back until the spring... but would rather not do this.

Any suggstions?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

When I bought a Mundano to use as my daily, I used Elephant, who duplicated my NCB from my S. I then renewed my S with Classicline, on a 5k miles policy. <£400 for each one, on street parking in a city.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 AM

Just called to check what the bad news was after the car had been looked over...

To be told that the head had no damage, they'd changed all of the plugs and put a new coilpack on and taken it for a road test!!

My suspicious and paranoid head says that they've missed something...

However as they've already run it and been up and down the road then it seems a bit late to be taking it apart and looking for trouble!

Fingers crossed then that normal service is resumed...

Thank you all for your contributions, and let's hope that this is a happy ending rather than just a postponement of the inevitable!!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Lucky escape!

I'd still be tempted to take the sump off and check for metal, and change the oil/filter.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Lucky escape!

I'd still be tempted to take the sump off and check for metal, and change the oil/filter.
Well it's due a service in a couple of thousand miles, probably wise just to get them to do that today on reflection....good advice I think. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
When I bought a Mundano to use as my daily, I used Elephant, who duplicated my NCB from my S. I then renewed my S with Classicline, on a 5k miles policy. <£400 for each one, on street parking in a city.
This sounds the sort of thing I had in mind, suggestions for who would duplicate my existing NCB was what I needed, thanks very much for this I'll call elephant and see what they say.

Of course even though the car is fixed my wife will renew her view that I should be getting rid of it and buying something more sensible, rather than buying an additional car... If I only had a garage that wasn't full of motorbikes she wouldn't have an issue with it.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 AM

Sky insurance will duplicate your NCB onto other vehicles. You may need to tell your wife to sort her own policy and you have your own 2 cars on another.

Glad the engine seems OK - good result!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
Sky insurance will duplicate your NCB onto other vehicles. You may need to tell your wife to sort her own policy and you have your own 2 cars on another.

Glad the engine seems OK - good result!
Thanks I'll try Sky, no joy with Elephant, they wouldn't duplicate all of my NCB due to me having had an accident just under 3 years ago, and gave me an introductory bonus of 3 years NCB instead for the quote. This came out at £569. He also did me an Admiral multicar quote for both (ame group apparently), and this came out at £460 for the Hr-V and £180 for the remaing 5 months of the year for the S2000. My current S2000 policy is only £280 (I'm old and live in the country).

Quick Reply: Breakdown!