UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brands Hatch Track Day Report

Old 02-24-2002, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brands Hatch Track Day Report

Just spent today buzzing around Brands Hatch with easytrack. It was supposed to be a 50/50 share with the SIDC (Subaru Impreza posse), but as you can see from this photo:

they were rather thin on the ground. A few did turn up later, but then just parked up, talked about mods, and stuck pathetic number plates on their cars (removed on departure from the paddock):

I'm sorry black beast, but you are SAD.
Anyway, enough of the SIDC p&$% take, and on to the track day.

It started dry which I was relieved by, and I started by taking Lisa out ( I persuaded her to come so that she could see that they're not Max Power macho last second out breaking type events and would worry less for future events). I took her in after a few warm up laps as Paddock Hill was giving her the heeby jeebies (she wasn't the only one ). I had a few wobbles after that - Clearways and Graham Hill bends seem to be my nemeses. I backed off the power several times when the back end was sliding out, and I really could (and should) have kept going if I had held my nerve. I'm definitely going to get some proper 1-1 tuition - the Don Palmer course sounds like a good bet.

Apart from nutters in an EVO 6, an R500 and a 911, most of the other cars seemed fairly well performance matched with the S2000 - which was a relief. It was quite quiet on the track, although I did have a tussle with a Supra - it had the legs on me out of the corners, but on braking, and around the bends, I was all over him. I didn't get to play with my mate in his Impreza estate which was a bit of a shame.

After lunch it started to rain so I got a bit more nervous - on stock S-02s, I know the car's not quite so much in its element, but I was pleasantly surprised. It just means that you can't get away with being rough and ready with your actions - I managed to lose grip a couple of times due to jerky down-changes going into corners which I've never had in the dry.

To top it all, I even claimed a scooby scalp in the wet - and before you talk about experience, I know, drivers count more than the car, but this is only my second track day actually driving, my first time at Brands, and it was wet, so I'm claiming that scalp anyway

Steve
Old 02-24-2002, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the great write up Steve, would you go back to Brands again?

I can't believe how huge the Supra looks compared to the S2000!
Old 02-25-2002, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice report Steve. (If I hadnt seen the picture myself, I wouldnt have believed the 'number plate thing' Bizzare .

I drove Brands a few years ago (FF1600 track day). The 1st time you barrel into Paddock Hill Bend is just awsome! It is not something you forget in a hurry. I remember having trouble exiting Druids without fishtailing. It is so hard to resist putting the power on early coming out of such a slow corner!

All in all, tho', I think the Indy circuit is a nice place to drive - good combo. of fast/slow and elevation change
Old 02-25-2002, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Tifosi Red
would you go back to Brands again?
Definitely. My other track day was at Pembrey. Excellent for a first track day, but not too exciting. The hilly nature of Brands makes it that much more fun. I'd also recommend Cadwell Park for the same reason - a bit closer to you too !
Old 02-25-2002, 05:26 AM

Paddock is an awsome corner, like jumping of the edge of the world. Try it on a bike while racing, hard on the brakes with the back end just coming off the ground, turn in, clash bang through the apex and then drift out to that gravel whilst on the power to get the speed up the hill - magic.

Cadwell is superb if you use the full circuit, but I imagine Oulton would be great in a car as it's slightly wider. Once took my T5R round Donnington with a photographer laying in the back whilst strapped down to the floor with the hatch open - he didn't find it funny
Old 02-25-2002, 12:51 PM

Steve,

I think most the Impreza's probably stuck "pathetic plates" on due to International Motors (Subaru UK...) invalidating your warranty if you take an Impreza on the track....

Still black beast is sad...

Personally, I'd argue that "inappropriate use" shouldn't include "instruction on track"
Old 02-25-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by awinskill
Steve,
I think most the Impreza's probably stuck "pathetic plates" on due to International Motors (Subaru UK...) invalidating your warranty if you take an Impreza on the track....
Whooah there - you mean if you take your scooby to the track you void your warranty ? Scary stuff. That's like saying if you take your 4WD off road you void it too. Any excuse not to pay up

PS. I didn't see the black beast venture onto the track, and most of the other cars that did used duct tape to mask their plates.

Mind you, I do approve of his alloys and colour choice...
Old 02-25-2002, 09:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve_the_greek
[B]

Whooah there - you mean if you take your scooby to the track you void your warranty ? Scary stuff. That's like saying if you take your 4WD off road you void it too. Any excuse not to pay up