UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Braking Technique

Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russellhq,Mar 9 2007, 12:50 PM
My post seems to have been a bit misleading. My enquiry was centred around the ABS system and it's use in general road driving. My experience of the ABS systems effects have been limited to brake testing and not when out and about driving in general. I want to be aware of the limits of my car and what I can expect to happen when I reach or exceed them. If an emergency were to arise, I'd like to know what my car is doing and why it's doing it. Fore warned is fore armed or however that goes
Conventional wisdom on ABS, as touched on by others, is that you should never in normal driving conditions have to experience it- it is there specifically to assist in extreme circumstances (as in avoiding the obstruction). Those extremes can be influenced by any combination of poor road condition (loose/wet) or tyre performance, or brake system health (padss, fluid, discs).

ABS can be expereicned progressively in certain conditions, or fully engaged (lots of Brake Pedal feedback).

If you are regularly experiencing ABS in all conditions, then you are at the car's limit of adhesion for (your weight of braking for the given circumstance)

Everybody reacts at different speeds and applies different braking effort based on their own appreciation of the situation - anticipation, reaction, control, it's all variable baby!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 AM

The ABS on the S2000 is quite relaxed and cuts in quite late.

Practise your braking and you'll never use in general.

For me it's there for those moments of emergency, like someone running out in front of you, where you are unprepared and slam on the anchors.

I love the fact people have ABS. Just this morning I stopped on the motorway slip road, looked in my mirror and see a Fiesta getting bigger and bigger; the wince on the drivers face getting tighter and tighter. I pulled forward a little and she stopped just in time. Without ABS she would have been in my boot!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The damping is prone to fade and on poor roads, one does get the occasional thump from the NSF.

It tells you that you are braking to the car's limits & should adjust accordingly.

The car will still stop the quickest just before ABS cuts in, so one pump will reduce the deceleration rate & mean you won't have to lift, unless you want to turn the wheel. Always get the braking over first.

If you're getting any more than that, you are over-braking.

Try decelerating a little earlier. The S2000 will outbrake a lot of things, but don't get carried away!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Try to provoke it in a wet car park a few times.

Russ.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 AM

AFAIK the owners manual suggests that the ABS system should actually be purposely used every so often, other wise the ABS pump can seize
Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Mar 9 2007, 04:38 PM

Without ABS she would have been in my boot!
...not necessarily, ABS does not shorten stopping distances, it gives you control to undertake a manoeuvre under extreme braking. She could have ended up alongside you!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by slomofo,Mar 9 2007, 07:51 PM
...not necessarily, ABS does not shorten stopping distances
Really?

Russ.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R39H,Mar 9 2007, 08:24 PM
Really?

Russ.
No, not really. ABS does stop you faster than locking up wheels, but slower than threshold braking (i.e. at the limit of locking up).

If anyone else has the 1st Lotus DVD, he demonstrates this.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 PM

ABS does not shorten stopping distances....Compared to what I should have said.

I was being sarcastic as usual

Russ
Old 03-09-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by slomofo,Mar 9 2007, 07:51 PM
ABS does not shorten stopping distances
Mmmmmmm.

Not if you are going to break traction...that is what it's there for. But you can stop quicker without breaking traction.

Not only does this make sense to me, but I've proved it on an airfield marked out with cones where I did several runs breaking from 90mph+ to a standstill. Oh and I also had a F1 test driver in the passenger seat coaching me.

A good stop where the ABS did not kick in was a significantly shorter distance than relying on the ABS.

That was enough for me!

Nick

Quick Reply: Braking Technique