UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brakes

Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

Car is Honda for its service as we speak. They just rang and said that they carried out a health check and everything is fine except the front and rear pads are 80% worn and did I want them to replace them. Well, obviously I said no but I have no idea how bad 80% worn actually is and what will it actually cost me to get them done. I am far too lazy to replace the pads myself so would be looking at paying for it, but NOT Hondas prices! Can Kwik Fit do the S2000?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Steve
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

If I can change the pads on an S2000, Kwik fit certainly can! It's a very easy job and I'm the biggest mechanical numpty in the world!

The Honda pads are very good, though, and until recently represented excellent value at around £35 a pair. Sadly they are nearly double that now

Kwik fit will do some deal whereby they'll replace the pads free for ever http://www.kwik-fit.com/free-brake-check.asp
Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
If I can change the pads on an S2000, Kwik fit certainly can! It's a very easy job and I'm the biggest mechanical numpty in the world!

The Honda pads are very good, though, and until recently represented excellent value at around £35 a pair. Sadly they are nearly double that now

Kwik fit will do some deal whereby they'll replace the pads free for ever http://www.kwik-fit.com/free-brake-check.asp
Cheers Lovegroova. I probably didn't explain myself properly. I wasnt questioning their ability to carry out the work (although thats another debate entirely!), more their ability to provide the pads. I had a car a few years ago and getting pads was not easy as they were not listed in any of their books. Just wanted to check KF have pads for a S2000. Would I notice a difference between their pads and OEM?

Is 80% worn bad or just something to think about in the coming weeks / months? I do about 6k a year!

Cheers
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I expect the 80% worn might be overstated. There's plenty of places to get pads from, and IIRC richmc is using Kwik Fit pads on his car.

The OEM are very good, and you might notice a difference in feel, or under duress (track day/Alps driving) but I guess they'll be ok for regular road use.

How long they'll last is up to you really, but at 6k a year, I'd suggest you'll be ok for a good while yet.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 AM

I dont do track days (as I cant afford to bend the car!) so I'll hope they last a little longer and get them looked at after Xmas when I have some cash!!

Cheers.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I also agree that 80% probably means about 50%.

Dealers love saying pads and discs are worn. Basts.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

Look at it this way, how many miles have you done to get to 80% worn? divide that by 4 and that will give you a ROUGH guide to the mileage left in them. You should get a couple of quotes though, a local indie may be able to do them cheaper for you.?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surely in the time and effort you spend ringing round for quotes you'd easily do them yourself??
Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 AM

I sort of had this conversation with Honda. Last year they were 40% worn and the year before the were 20% worn. So I asked why the sudden jump down to 80% with the same mileages. Their answer was that previous ones may have been a quick visual inspection and this time they took the wheels off to have a look. Its not that I dont believe them its just that I dont believe them!

Cheers for the replies!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Surely in the time and effort you spend ringing round for quotes you'd easily do them yourself??

I dont get dirty and cold ringing round!

Quick Reply: Brakes