UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake Pads

Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brake Pads

Having provisionally booked my self on a track day at Llandow this Saturday, I though I had better check my pads.

I'm not convinced the fronts have enough life in them for a track day, but can any one confirm.

The distance between the back of the pad and disc is about 9mm, so allowing for a 1mm (?) gap between the pad and the disc, the pad itself is roughly 8mm.

Given the metal casing that hold the pads does not look that much thinner than this, I'm guessing I'm due some new pads before I think about tracking my car on Saturday.

Anyone?

Thanks

Nick
Old 10-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

refering to the metal casing, do you mean the backing plate that the pad material is attached to?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 20 2005, 08:51 AM
refering to the metal casing, do you mean the backing plate that the pad material is attached to?
Think so!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 AM

Buy new ones and take them with you. You can always pop them in, if needed, for the ride home. Would think twice about brand new brakes on a track day unless you can bed them in well beforehand or you are going to fit a racing pad?
If you do this I'd pop them in at the track and bed them in there then switch back to road pads for the drive home.

BTW - how are your tyres looking? Be prepared to buy some new ones.

Also -what time will you be there on Sat? may bring a camera to capture the moment. (You know THE moment )
Old 10-20-2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by aldfort,Oct 20 2005, 09:26 AM
Buy new ones and take them with you. You can always pop them in, if needed, for the ride home. Would think twice about brand new brakes on a track day unless you can bed them in well beforehand or you are going to fit a racing pad?
If you do this I'd pop them in at the track and bed them in there then switch back to road pads for the drive home.

BTW - how are your tyres looking? Be prepared to buy some new ones.

Also -what time will you be there on Sat? may bring a camera to capture the moment. (You know THE moment )
Tyres are ok (at the moment). I had to get some new ones after the fist lotus day I did back in May, and have done a fair few miles on them since so I imagine that I'll be looking at some news ones shortly!

It's an all day thing, as far as I am aware, starting at 9:00 but I've not made my mind up as yet.

How much driving does it take to bed new pads in?

Nick
Old 10-20-2005, 02:29 AM

100 miles or so of normal stop start driving.

to make a judgement of whether you need new pads or not, you need to specify how much pad material you have left, unless someone on here know how thick the backing plates are.

personally, i would want at least 5mm of OEM honda pad prior to a trackday. taking a spare set is also not a bad idea. i got through a set of non oem normal road rear pads that had been fitted for only 100 miles in one day at the last trackday i did.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 20 2005, 10:29 AM
100 miles or so of normal stop start driving.

to make a judgement of whether you need new pads or not, you need to specify how much pad material you have left, unless someone on here know how thick the backing plates are.

personally, i would want at least 5mm of OEM honda pad prior to a trackday. taking a spare set is also not a bad idea. i got through a set of non oem normal road rear pads that had been fitted for only 100 miles in one day at the last trackday i did.
The pad itself is more than 5mm. It's about 8mm, but how much of this is useable?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

FFS, Nick, they're only 10mm when new at the front!

You'll be alright, Harry.

I'm down to 4.5 at the front (min is 1.5 or something) and have a spare set ready.

The audible screechers will let you know when it's time for a change.

Frying on Satruday!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:13 AM

Nick you are a true post :whore:. One trackday and 4 threads about info!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Oct 20 2005, 12:13 PM
Nick you are a true post :whore:. One trackday and 4 threads about info!
leave the lad alone. he's just getting excited!

wear indicators start scraping the disc when there is just over 1mm of pad theft so 8mm of pad is plenty.
EDIT: check the amount of pad on the inside rear too. the inside pad seems to wear faster than the outside, presumably because this is the one moved directly by the piston.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads