UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake Pad Wear

Old 08-10-2004, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Wear

Has anyone noticed any uneven wear patterns on their brake pads? I've done 11000 miles and my front pads seem about half worn. However, the nearside rear has about 6mm left and the offside rear only about 1mm.

It seems strange that the rears have worn quicker than the fronts - usually it is the other way round. I'm also slightly worried about the uneven wear on the rear pads - maybe the offside caliper is sticking.

Anyway, thought I'd ask on here before going to the dealer.....
Old 08-10-2004, 11:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine look evenly worn both sides - sounds like you may have a probelm one side (maybe a binding parking brake mechanism? Does the wheel turn freely that side with the parking brake off?)
Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 AM

My fronts were changed at 16k, and my rears will need to be changed qutie soon I think (24k). Does seem weird that your rear pads need changing before your fronts. Think you need to check your brake bias, may be an issue if you have to brake very hard in the wet.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stop doing as many meets as you do! #

Paul,i had the same prob,near side rear.What i did was take caliper of and cover the hole thing in oil.then got the piston to go in and out many times to its limit,it seems to of sorted that.Also i changed my rear discs as well as they were worn.

Are you under warrenty if so they may change the caliper.good luck hope this helps!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As i understand there is no Bias

Think you need to check your brake bias, [QUOTE]
Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC Euan's rears wore faster than his fronts also.
He had to get the discs changed due to excessive rusting.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:44 AM

just had both front and rear pad sets changed at 18kmiles... dunno if thats good or bad!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies... It does look like I might have a problem with the rear caliper then, if no-one else has suffered this.

I'll book the car in tomorrow for them to take a look. Hopefully it will be sorted by the 21st for the West Mids Meet!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby,Aug 11 2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies... It does look like I might have a problem with the rear caliper then, if no-one else has suffered this.

I'll book the car in tomorrow for them to take a look. Hopefully it will be sorted by the 21st for the West Mids Meet!
BTW, keep in mind that the rear pads have so much less mass than the fronts. That plus the solid rear discs mean that the rear of the car might be prone to more overheating problems and thus more pad wear.

When I used EBC Greenstuff V4, the rears wore out much quicker than the fronts, but later with Ferodos, the fronts wear out quicker. Pad material type also makes a difference.

///Robin
Old 09-16-2004, 12:14 PM

I took it to the dealers to have the calipers checked out but they could find no problems. They said they weren't sticking (although this didn't mean that they haven't done so in the past). They also didn't think that the rear discs were corroded enough to cause excess wear.

In the end I just bought a new set of rear pads. I'll be keeping a close eye on them to make sure they wear evenly this time.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Wear