UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake pad shims

Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad shims

My car is currently suffering from the most horrendous brake squeal – most embarrassing in slow traffic with the top down.

I’ve taken all the pads out, re-greased the backs with copper-slip but it hasn't helped much. I also noticed that I do not have any shims as I have heard dicribed elsewhere on this forum – the backs of the pads are just in contact with the calliper, is this right?

My receipts indicate that my pads were changed really recently – could it be that the mechanic forgot to refit the shims?

Cheers
James
Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

What pads have you fitted?

In my experience, aftermarket pads don't come with shims, so I have to re-use the Honda Items. This may not be the case with all aftermarket pads but could be an explanation.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mintyhit
My receipts indicate that my pads were changed really recently – could it be that the mechanic forgot to refit the shims?
Sounds like it. New Honda pads come with shims in the box, but with any other pads one usually re-uses the shims from the old set.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 AM

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they are aftermarket – in fact I am almost sure of it.

I have the receipt at home but it looks like a “local” mechanic job.

So it looks like I need to get a total of 6? shims, two inners and one outter for each side.

Hmmm... I suppose it would be too much to wish for to be able to get a set of these without having to buy a new set of Honda pads?

...bl00dy mechanics *waves fist*
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM

I very much doubt you would get any shims direct from Honda without the pads. What about seeing if you can get some used shims from someone that's replacing their pads and shims with new Honda ones? Might not be the easiest of tasks, mind you.

Alternatively, the pads will need changing again at some point anyway. Just buy the set from Honda (they're cheap enough), fit the shims to the current pads, then when the pads need changing you've got a set waiting, and you can re-use the shims that you've previously fitted.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM pads are not exactly expensive but I'm not sure if shims can be bought as an individual items. Must be someone on here that has changed oem for oem pads recently that would have a set of shims or old pads and shims. might be worth asking your local dealership to save you a used set of shims next time they have an S2000 in for a brake service.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the shims seperately. Hendy recently got me a price for some.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Odd ... coppergrease on the back of the pads has always served me fine.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM

I've just been on-line looking for brake components and noticed that Brakes International have a six piece Honda/Nissin axle kit listed under 'rear brake pads - alternative', their ref BPF 1203, for £6.09!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by dennohue
I've just been on-line looking for brake components and noticed that Brakes International have a six piece Honda/Nissin axle kit listed under 'rear brake pads - alternative', their ref BPF 1203, for £6.09!

Aha, thanks Dennohue - good find:

So are we thinking these are what I need?

I thought it was strange copper-slip didn't work as well but I guess they are just designed to have shims.

Quick Reply: Brake pad shims