UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake Issues - Possible seizing?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Issues - Possible seizing?

I've had an issue with the brakes for a couple months now and not sure what it is or if it is even a problem. What happens is the car always feels firmly planted when stationary, like there is a slight brake pressure being applied. It's most noticable when stopped on a slight incline where any other car would begin to roll. I just sit there with no handbrake on.

So I investigated yesterday and jacked up the drivers rear wheel and had a look. First thing I tried was spinning the wheel, this gave some resistance and was not as free as I would have expected. So off came the wheel and an investigation began. Took the caliper off after much effort, couldn't get it to prise open at first to remove it from the disc. It didn't help that the disc had formed a slight lip round the edge, about a mm wide and same deep (is this usual?).

Anyway off came the caliper and out came the pads, managed to screw the piston back down (not much resistance given) and refitted the pads and assembled it all back together (now I know how to fit my own pads, easier than I thought ) . Wheel span more freely now.

Jacked up the left rear and it spun more freely than the right (before I had a go at it) so left it alone.

Took the car out and tried the brakes, stopped a treat as usual. The car still feels firmly planted while stopped but maybe slightly less than before. Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 AM
ADP

I had a seized caliper, had to be replaced in the end

seems fairly common
Old 02-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Common issue im afraid, searh for previos thread i got a re-con caliper for
Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 AM

Thing is, I haven't noticed excessive dust or heat from the wheel so not entirely convinced it's the caliper thats gone as thats not a cheap job to put right

Any thoughts on the disc wear i.e. the lip on the outter rim of the disc.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by russellhq,Feb 26 2007, 09:35 AM
I've had an issue with the brakes for a couple months now and not sure what it is or if it is even a problem. What happens is the car always feels firmly planted when stationary, like there is a slight brake pressure being applied. It's most noticable when stopped on a slight incline where any other car would begin to roll. I just sit there with no handbrake on.

So I investigated yesterday and jacked up the drivers rear wheel and had a look. First thing I tried was spinning the wheel, this gave some resistance and was not as free as I would have expected. So off came the wheel and an investigation began. Took the caliper off after much effort, couldn't get it to prise open at first to remove it from the disc. It didn't help that the disc had formed a slight lip round the edge, about a mm wide and same deep (is this usual?).

Anyway off came the caliper and out came the pads, managed to screw the piston back down (not much resistance given) and refitted the pads and assembled it all back together (now I know how to fit my own pads, easier than I thought ) . Wheel span more freely now.

Jacked up the left rear and it spun more freely than the right (before I had a go at it) so left it alone.

Took the car out and tried the brakes, stopped a treat as usual. The car still feels firmly planted while stopped but maybe slightly less than before. Thoughts?
Doesn't sound like there was anything wrong to be honest. Don't forget that when you're trying to spin one of the of the rear wheels, you're also spinning the differential, propshaft and gears in the gearbox.

The lip is normal, just wear on the disc. As long as the disc thicknesses are still within tolearnce, there is no problem with having a slight lip except that it does make it harder to get the caliper off.

If you were able to rotate the piston back in without any problems, then your calipers are not seized. Would also be worth checking that they slide properly on the sliders too.

After you had removed and refitted the pads, i would expect the wheel to spin more freely as there would be no residual pressure of the pads onto the discs.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:12 AM

The slider felt quite free after I had them off the disc. As to the LSD, drivechain and gears, I thought this might be the case but wasn't sure as having no experience with a RWD car before let alone one with a LSD.

After I asembled the brakes, I turned the car on and pumped the brakes a few times to get them in position then tried spining. It was still easier to spin than before.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 PM

The resistance will be one of two things (not being an expert mind):-

1 - LSD - nothing to worry about
2 - caliper not releasing fully, so there was light pressure against the disk.

My money's on 2, which happened to me with the 'teg (rear caliper). Solved by stripping the caliper down and cleaning it up / regreasing the right bits. Although the 'teg was further gone than yours sounds, and it sounds like what you did worked for the moment.

I'd check it again in a week or two, then if no problems just 'keep an eye on it'. Wouldn't go looking for recon calipers just yet certainly!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Yeah, I think it's mostly that I've not experienced a RWD with a LSD before and thats whats causing the effect I am feeling.

If I were to strip the caliper then I assume this is going to involve draining the brake fluid? As thats somthing I don't fancy doing.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:44 PM

I had same problem a few weeks ago. Nearside rear - abit of 'noise' at car park speeds and wheel hot. Did what you did and it's been fine since. I always check the temp now after a run. I think this was down to the car been sat with the handbrake on for a few days at a time in sh*t weather. Mine's not a daily driver.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russellhq,Feb 26 2007, 09:35 AM
What happens is the car always feels firmly planted when stationary,

Sorry made me laugh. Damn good those S02s.

Were the nipples on the pads lined up with the cross on the caliper properly? I got this wrong once and the effects were exactly as you described. They pads were worn at an angle so it was pretty obvious they hadn't been in right.

Quick Reply: Brake Issues - Possible seizing?