UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake ducting

Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake ducting

Hi guys,

I'm having a heat issue on the front brakes and really ought to set-up some ducting

Is there a kit available for MY04+ cars? Mine is an 06 model.

I've seen a couple of the DIY threads on the board, but struggle to dedicate the time, and don't have the space to do this myself.

Cheers,

Roger.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

What discs and pads are you using?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Seriously now, remove your heat shields and fit some 2-2.5" flexible pipe/ducting.

It really isn't rocket science
Old 11-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Seriously now, remove your heat shields and fit some 2-2.5" flexible pipe/ducting.

+1

Or if you want to keep the heat shields and have circular drill bits for this size, cut out a hole, get a 2.5" Steel Pipe & cut off around 2" length and weld it onto the heat shield, then you can put the ducting straight onto it and secure it if you drill a hole on both sides of the pipe and cable tie

Hope that makes sense

Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
What discs and pads are you using?
Std (but not Honda) discs were on the car when I bought it
Pads are Carbone Lorraine RC5+
Fluid is Motul RBF600

The pedal went to the floor and the pads have started to crumble.....CL say they are fine, but there is too much heat.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus

It's not the complexity - its having 2 young kids and a hallway that I need to decorate. I just wanted the easy option of there was one. If I have no option but to get stuck in, then so be it. It's just a little surprising that noone has produced ducts to fit in the faux vents in the bumper.

Rog
Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Try some of the Dixcel or Ferodo DS2500 pads first. No need to butcher your car, especially if you're managing to destroy your brakes on the road.

I'd also get the calipers checked to make sure they aren't seized/sticky. It's pretty difficult to get serious brake fade /pad crumbling even with the OEM pads on the road, or are you getting this on track?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 AM

Try some of the Dixcel or Ferodo DS2500 pads first. No need to butcher your car, especially if you're managing to destroy your brakes on the road.

I'd also get the calipers checked to make sure they aren't seized/sticky. It's pretty difficult to get serious brake fade /pad crumbling even with the OEM pads on the road, or are you getting this on track?
Sorry, should have said this was on track. There is no way I would (or would be able to) drive like that on the road.

The brakes were fantastic until the pedal went to the floor. I think if I can just keep the heat down a little they'll be fine.

I've used ds2500s before but they don't really cut it and I managed to go through a set in 1 day on my previous S!!! The performance was pretty good though maybe the ds3000s would suit me more.

Rog
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 AM

xyz big brake kit

ginger
Old 11-28-2011, 01:13 AM

It's pretty difficult to get serious brake fade /pad crumbling even with the OEM pads on the road, or are you getting this on track?

Road braking is far more strenuous than track braking because it is longer and more sustained thus not giving a chance fror heat to disperse.

Track braking is a sharp maximum burst and then off.

You certinaly need to fit ducting if you are managing it on track.

Quick Reply: Brake ducting