UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake discs and pads

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake discs and pads

I am sure there have been countless threads on discs and pads and I have read through quite a few...just wanted to see if anyone has used the setup I am considering, mainly the pads...

Probably going to opt for the bremtech discs from brakes international and have found some Brembo pads on the bay and wanted to see if anyone has used them and how they rate them.

You will see them under the search "FRONT Brembo Brake Pads HONDA S2000 (AP) 2.0 Vtec 03/99" part number: P28032

Appreciate any feedback from anyone that knows these pads.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM

If you can actually get the Bremtech discs, good luck to you - i've tried 5 times and always get "They're due in stock soon!" when I email them.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Hmmm, ok...anyone used these pads before then?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Just incase you are on the hunt for these still, we shall be starting a Group Buy tomorrow for Bremtech front and rear discs, with Ferodo DS2500 pads, fluid and hoses options for just one item if required or a package for the lot. Check the Traders Section tomorrow night and it should be live
Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info, I will have a look at the prices tomorrow then
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 AM

Just remember that DS2500 aren't road legal
Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 AM

Yes DS2500's are performance pads, classed as Race on the box, and 'technically' speaking because they dont have Reg90 are not classed for the road, BUT..

Reg90 is a curious reg from EU, meant to stop poor performing pads from being sold as equivalents to OE spec... which makes sense. What they did was apply a 15% of OE fircition coefficient, but then cocked it up by not just making it within 15% of OE on the negative side, but made it +/-15% of OE. this then makes "BETTER" performing pads outside of reg 90 because they perform better.

Functionally they work far better than stock, and this is why so many people want to run them.
If you were concerned about the pad in the event of a serious (fatal) road crash, then I can imagine the scenario of the car being taken to bits to determin the cause. Too good a brake pad would'nt likely be one of them, nor identifying every component on the car against every standard around.

The only identifyer on the pads is the printing on the back of the pads, which is only printed on.... and can wear off. with nothing printed or legible on the pad, determining the make, let alone the model & spec would seem impossible. Crash test investigation would confirm they were "working" and had sufficient pad material.

Reality is the pads perform superbly, stop far better than OE, which when Oe fade in hard use, and DS2500's dont, then the DS2500's would be the safer pads to run.

MOT brake testing takes no account of brake materials fitted to the cars, only that they work sufficiently well, which is the important aspect obviously.

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by HEL Performance
Yes DS2500's are performance pads, classed as Race on the box, and 'technically' speaking because they dont have Reg90 are not classed for the road, BUT..

Reg90 is a curious reg from EU, meant to stop poor performing pads from being sold as equivalents to OE spec... which makes sense. What they did was apply a 15% of OE fircition coefficient, but then cocked it up by not just making it within 15% of OE on the negative side, but made it +/-15% of OE. this then makes "BETTER" performing pads outside of reg 90 because they perform better.

Functionally they work far better than stock, and this is why so many people want to run them.
If you were concerned about the pad in the event of a serious (fatal) road crash, then I can imagine the scenario of the car being taken to bits to determin the cause. Too good a brake pad would'nt likely be one of them, nor identifying every component on the car against every standard around.

The only identifyer on the pads is the printing on the back of the pads, which is only printed on.... and can wear off. with nothing printed or legible on the pad, determining the make, let alone the model & spec would seem impossible. Crash test investigation would confirm they were "working" and had sufficient pad material.

Reality is the pads perform superbly, stop far better than OE, which when Oe fade in hard use, and DS2500's dont, then the DS2500's would be the safer pads to run.

MOT brake testing takes no account of brake materials fitted to the cars, only that they work sufficiently well, which is the important aspect obviously.

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1322825231' post='21203863
Are you able to offer a "legal" alternative pad (which may not stop as well)?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Yes but they'll just be OEM replacement pads, so no 'upgrade' as such. I'll add it to the options on the GB though, good idea.

Thanks

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by HEL Performance' timestamp='1322835224' post='21204204

[quote name='Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1322825231' post='21203863']
Are you able to offer a "legal" alternative pad (which may not stop as well)?
[/quote]
Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by HEL Performance
Yes but they'll just be OEM replacement pads, so no 'upgrade' as such. I'll add it to the options on the GB though, good idea.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Brake discs and pads