UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Braces....

Old 05-25-2006, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOrry, I should have been more accurate in asking what I wanted. What braces are worth getting then taking into account that I would like to be able to push on the road, even if it sacrifices some potential track speed.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Blimey O'Reilly:

Lickermat & the crew are right about the braces; it won't slow your car down but the added rigidity allows less corruption of the geometry by flex. It allows one to feel what is going on better through the steering, so one may judge the limits better.

A 'strut brace' is a misnomer; it braces the (front) damper towers. There is a rear available, but it robs boot space.

The X-brace reinfirces the front subframe. The problem with the S2000's seems to be that there is no transverse beam between the engine mounts, which permits wind-up.

The rear lower brace replaces the standard item. Rizla - like it!

They are cheap, easily installed & brilliant. I'm uncertain if AB's slightly harsher breakaway is a corollary of the brace, or his non-standard wheeels & tyres. Mine uses JDM wheels & S-02's and very little rear toe. It is like a big MX-5.

The anti-roll bars (sway bars indeed!) are slightly misdescribed. A stiffer one connect the wheels across the car, making it more disturbed by bumps and prone to 'waddle' like the worst German cars.

Stiffening the front has the effect of keeping the grip at a higher level. It allows therefore more rear roll, which is how we sense breakaway approaching. It does nothing for rear grip, as such. Breakaway will happen at the same point, but may be perceived as 'earlier & softer' due to the more level front-end.

You could also softer the rear AR bar, in order to acheive a similar effect, which is exactly what Honda has done!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 AM
Banned

nicely put Nick, I was going to add my 2p, but you have taken alot of words right out my mouth
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,May 25 2006, 10:23 AM
The rear lower brace replaces the standard item. Rizla - like it!

The anti-roll bars (sway bars indeed!) are slightly misdescribed. A stiffer one connect the wheels across the car, making it more disturbed by bumps and prone to 'waddle' like the worst German cars.
I'm still waiting for a price from Ant on the rear lower brace...but there appears to be a divergence of opinion as to the benefits of an aftermarket rear lower brace (or "tie bar" as they seemed to be referred to).

I concur with Nick's explanation of stiffer anti roll bars - I've been having fun &games trying to adjust my shocks to make a compliant ride following my change of AR bars. I would only recommend stiffer AR bars to those of us who track the cars, where the benefit is significant IMO
Old 05-25-2006, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,May 24 2006, 05:57 AM
Which ones satbilise the rear from skipping? As far as I can tell the rear lower one is in place, so an aftermarket one would be no use. Presume an upper one will help?

MB
a rear lower one would be better then the stock one... the stock one is quite flimsy.... while an aftermarket one is solid... however, the advantage will be very small....

and i wouldn't mess with the rear upper one because the stock one does it's job quite well....

to stabilise the rear i would go with a larger front swaybar.... this will give the car a more neutral feeling...
Old 05-25-2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,May 24 2006, 06:26 AM
If you are concerned about the snappy rear the best prescription is a stiffer front sway bar. I have the Whiteline 31mm front bar and it had a noticable effect on road and track. Not only is the rear less snappy but when it does go it's progressive and controllable.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:54 AM

Somehow I get the impression that DBM was asking about taming the rear's tendancy to skip (I assume over a rough or washboard type surface), not the tendancy to oversteer. If skipping is the issue, then the stiffer front bar is not going to help, softer dampers/springs would (like Honda did in the newer models). If it was an oversteer question, then yes, the stiffer front bar is the way to go - it does not affect the ride quality in any other way except when cornering.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:03 AM
PJL

Just to confuse matters some more

The biggest differance in making the rear more stable from my own experience was fitting the Spoon Stiffer Rear Diff Mounts - they realy do reduce the flex in the Drive System & keep the car more stable - since fitted - no more Bump Steer - Simple !

I have the Spoon Rear Lower Brace - the OEM item was all bent & twisted from contact with the Road etc - since the Spoon Item fitted, everything has maintained staight & its it place.

Peter
Old 05-25-2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 24 2006, 11:54 PM
Ok, so can someone provide a definitive list of braces?
From what I can gather:
Front tower Strut
Front Anti-Roll/sway bar
And what about this X-Brace thing?
- front upper strut bar = will do absolutely nothing... if you look under the stock air box you'll see a huge bar that goes across....
- front lower x brace/u brace = will reduce a little oversteer... but not much..
- rear lower bar (already there but is quite flimsy)
- rear upper bar (already there)
- 3 piece midframe braces (stiffens the chasis and reduced body roll)
- front and rear sway bars
Old 05-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

The banana (MY99 JDM) has three braces.

Cusco top and bottom at the rear and Spoon lower at the front.

Upper rear shown below:

It's difficult for me to comment on the merits or otherwise of these braces, not least because the car has been running on KW coilovers (set low and firm) and 17" front and 18" rears.

I would say that the car feels stiffer than my standard MY02; I'd describe it as more kart like. I would not say that it is less likely to skip at the rear (I would say bunny hop. If anything, it's worse than the MYO2 in this respect.

The qualification to this statement is that the car is set too firm for poor to average road surfaces, but it is very nicely set up for high quality surfaces. I intend to experiment with the damper settings once the oem wheels and new SO2s are fitted shortly. At the moment I intend to maintain the lower ride height, but soften the damper settings slightly.

I was surprised to read that some people regard the front strut brace as having little or no value. I lexperienced these with an M3 GT, which was a model loaded up with M-sport goodies. The strut brace made a noticeable improvement to the standard E36 M3 steering in terms of sharpening up the response. I know I am comparing apples and oranges, but there you go. They do look good of course.

My advice to anyone contemplating fitting a brace, is to do so one at a time. My car is evidence of how difficult it is to evaluate the benefits of one modification when a number have been fitted.

Quick Reply: Braces....