UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

bought new s2k... naughty honda?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honda, or any car dealer for that matter has a duty of care to you under sales of good act to sell you a car which is fit for purpose for a period of 6 months. I would go back to them and ask them whether they will replace them, if not I would speak to Honda UK and ask them whether they think it is acceptable for their dealer to be selling cars in this condition.

I suspect at 40k the discs are probably not far off needing replacing anyway.
I don't know for sure, but I highly suspect wear and tear items (which brakes would be classified as) would not be covered by "fit for purpose for 6 months" providing they were legal at the time of sale. Otherwise I could buy a car with brand new tyres, go and do a drift day inside that 6 months and then come back and say the tyres are no longer fit for purpose and demand replacements
I think people need to bear in mind that in this instance that it was merely a mot advisory and not a fail
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 AM

Which dealer?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by tim1983,Oct 26 2010, 07:09 AM
I don't know for sure, but I highly suspect wear and tear items (which brakes would be classified as) would not be covered by "fit for purpose for 6 months" providing they were legal at the time of sale. Otherwise I could buy a car with brand new tyres, go and do a drift day inside that 6 months and then come back and say the tyres are no longer fit for purpose and demand replacements
I think people need to bear in mind that in this instance that it was merely a mot advisory and not a fail
just taking another garage to court on this very matter, my sister bought a golf off an independent dealer and after less than 1000 miles it needed new discs and pads (my dad was aware they were quite low). The advice we have had from trading standards is that as the car was sold by a dealer who because he states that it was independently inspected before sale, that a matter such as worn brakes should have been identified as a safety issue and either replaced by the dealer or been made aware to the purchaser that they would need replacing immenently. The dealer failed to do this and therefore the car was not effectively sold as fit for purpose - being that it would only last for 1000 miles before work would be needed to rectify.

Trading standards are fairly adamant that we will win our case.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by bigtommy,Oct 26 2010, 07:58 AM
just taking another garage to court on this very matter, my sister bought a golf off an independent dealer and after less than 1000 miles it needed new discs and pads (my dad was aware they were quite low). The advice we have had from trading standards is that as the car was sold by a dealer who because he states that it was independently inspected before sale, that a matter such as worn brakes should have been identified as a safety issue and either replaced by the dealer or been made aware to the purchaser that they would need replacing immenently. The dealer failed to do this and therefore the car was not effectively sold as fit for purpose - being that it would only last for 1000 miles before work would be needed to rectify.

Trading standards are fairly adamant that we will win our case.
I'm genuinely suprised by that, but if that what TS says, then fair play
I wonder how many "potential" miles wearable parts need to have on them before it falls under that ruling?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tim1983,Oct 26 2010, 08:22 AM
I'm genuinely suprised by that, but if that what TS says, then fair play
I wonder how many "potential" miles wearable parts need to have on them before it falls under that ruling?
i know we were quite surprised when they said it - there were some other issues with the car too so maybe TS think that the dealer is a bit of a rogue and the court will therefore take a strong approach against them
Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks for some really constructive comments. It certainly is a difficult one, on one hand I am enjoying the car and feel like I had a good relationship with salesman and Honda garage corncerned, on the other I do just feel a little miffed about it. As Tej said if they had told me about it I would of almost certainly still bought it.

The car was untaxed so they had obviously had it a little while, I've done about 200 odd miles already so hopefully enough to get surface corrision off the brakes. Tommorrow I will try and upload some piccies and let you guys see how bad it is, and then I will decide whether to go in and voice my complaint.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by edgerfs,Oct 26 2010, 09:59 AM
The car was untaxed so they had obviously had it a little while..........
Possibly they sold the tax disc back to DVLA, many dealers do. Pics will help, if the "corosion" has been wiped away by the pads I wouldn't worry, if there are pits on the surface then complain, also there is a spec for the width of the discs, have it checked and don't let them fob you off, you might have a good relationship with the salesman but remember that relationship is based on him having got your cash!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but if they were deceptive about this what else were they deceptive about?

I no longer trust the Honda dealer I bought my car from because they hid key information about the car from me, and they will never see anymore of my money.

Do I like the car? No, I love it. But that does not change the fact that the people I bought it from were dishonest and put me off doing any business with the rest of their chain.

I'm lucky that I found another local dealer that, from my one experience with them, are good and actually care about customers.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi Guys,

Pretty hard to get any daylight right now but these are about the best I can come up with.

See what you think!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

well, with that wear pattern it looks like at least your pads are fecked and need replacement. When that is done you will need to either turn down your discs (in anyone does that anymore and there is enough meat left) or replace.

I don't like they way they look, but I'm a miserable old git to begin with.

Quick Reply: bought new s2k... naughty honda?