UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bored of my S?

Old 02-05-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Subaru2000' date='Feb 5 2005, 11:00 AM
Most of the worlds motoring jurnos must be wrong about the Boxster then?
It's true my opinions are based partly on looks: Pork doesn't know which way it's going, Z4 is like a coffin on wheels, to my eyes, but when did anyone start taking notice of motoring journos? To illustrate, here's a list of my personal favourite winners of European car of the year as voted for by said 'experts':

Toyota Prius, Fiat Panda, Fiat Brava/Bravo, Fiat Punto, Fiat Tipo, Fiat Uno, Fiat 127, Fiat 128, Fiat 124, Renault Megane Scenic, Nissan Micra, Citreon XM, Citreon CX, Citreon GS, Chrysler Simca Horizon, Simca 1307, NSU Ro80, Austin 1800

The words "lacking credibility" spring to mind, but I'm sure they're impartial really
Old 02-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozeman' date='Feb 5 2005, 01:28 PM
All this talk of 'buy an original' is just a bit of internet forum self-fulfilling prophecy to me.
As the vehicle gets older and older, newer models emerge.

Now an 1999 S for cheap money is still a great car. This car doesn't exactly age and all of them look good on the road. But I simply don't believe it's sensible advice to suggest someone sells a 2004 model to buy a 1999 'original.'
Honda has a history of spoiling cars with each 'revison/facelift'

Notably the Civics, CRX, Prelude and not doing a replacement for the Integra and now its going that way with the S2000.

Im not saying it to wind up the 04 drivers (true it is an added bonus) but the fact remains it is a softer more forgiving version.

The suspension geo has been changed, softer ride and a flater power curve.

All designed to make the car more 'less experienced' friendly.

The interior changes are pointless, and i think they spoil what was a good interior with fake alloy and cubby holder ect.

The car is a drivers car meant to be driven hard, cup holders, clocks ect are not needed for this.

As for the selling the 04 to buy a 99.

Jo stated that the car wasnt doing it for her anymore, the costs and the fact that Honda had removed the VTEC kick being 2 things she mentioned.

Now if she sold the 04, she would have more money than she would need to buy a 99.

So that would mean she could either get the parts she wants without having to spend more than the original outlay of the 04, have the money to buy whatever else she may want or use it as a running costs fund. paying for the next however long on services/insurance ect.

And with being a 99 verison, yes she would have the original version, and that has the more lively handling and the VTEC kick that she wants.

When you look at it like that then id say it makes a damn sensible idea.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mans Best' date='Feb 5 2005, 01:48 AM
yes, but they're so slooooow around corners - I always get held up by them around the TT course where they need the whole width of the road to get around a corner at a decent speed, thus prompting plenty of suicide missions - and you're 10 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured and you can probably double those odds for the 'enthusiast'

each to his own, I suppose
Cant say I have ever held a car up , but I havent been to the IOM .

They are usually so far behind anyway . Interested to hear what your lap avarage is for the TT course , i understand the 400 production bikes are lapping in excess of a 100 mph average speed

As for the statistics , they are just that. 10 seems a very round number , what site is it from and is it compared to the drivers of S2000's ?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Busamav' date='Feb 5 2005, 07:52 PM
Cant say I have ever held a car up
Not suprised they are bloody heavy things cars.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ade73' date='Feb 5 2005, 11:00 AM
Honda has a history of spoiling cars with each 'revison/facelift'

Notably the Civics, CRX, Prelude and not doing a replacement for the Integra and now its going that way with the S2000.

Im not saying it to wind up the 04 drivers (true it is an added bonus) but the fact remains it is a softer more forgiving version.

The suspension geo has been changed, softer ride and a flater power curve.

All designed to make the car more 'less experienced' friendly.

The interior changes are pointless, and i think they spoil what was a good interior with fake alloy and cubby holder ect.

The car is a drivers car meant to be driven hard, cup holders, clocks ect are not needed for this.

As for the selling the 04 to buy a 99.

Jo stated that the car wasnt doing it for her anymore, the costs and the fact that Honda had removed the VTEC kick being 2 things she mentioned.

Now if she sold the 04, she would have more money than she would need to buy a 99.

So that would mean she could either get the parts she wants without having to spend more than the original outlay of the 04, have the money to buy whatever else she may want or use it as a running costs fund. paying for the next however long on services/insurance ect.

And with being a 99 verison, yes she would have the original version, and that has the more lively handling and the VTEC kick that she wants.

When you look at it like that then id say it makes a damn sensible idea.
Yes but 04s are quicker

Nuff said
Old 02-05-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger' date='Feb 5 2005, 08:06 PM
Yes but 04s are quicker

Nuff said
They're quicker at cleaning the noobs out of a more recent 25k or dumping them in a current debt, I'll give you that.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Busamav' date='Feb 5 2005, 07:52 PM
Cant say I have ever held a car up , but I havent been to the IOM .

They are usually so far behind anyway . Interested to hear what your lap avarage is for the TT course , i understand the 400 production bikes are lapping in excess of a 100 mph average speed

As for the statistics , they are just that. 10 seems a very round number , what site is it from and is it compared to the drivers of S2000's ?
My lap average is not that good as they don't close the roads for me to use by myself There is one 12 mile stretch that has no interruptions though and I've never been passed by a bike there - as I say they usually hold me up, because they can't get round and have to drop well below 100 to take corners etc that are 120+ in a car. All throttle and brake, as they can get away with that on a powerful bike.

The record for a 125 is 110mph and 112mph for the 400s, but they don't have to stop for traffic lights, grannies, etc like I do. About 15 years ago, Tony Pond (now deceased ex-rally driver) managed the course in a Rover 800 at 100+. Car was standard except for tyres and uprated brakes - first time he tried (and failed) he did it with a co-driver and pace notes, but the second time to save weight he did it without as he knew the roads well enough, him living here and all. I have no doubt that a fast car would be quicker than the bikes in similar conditions, as they are at every other race circuit, but there's no interest in trying since it's a motorbike festival. Shame really.

The stats on fatalities were made available last year by the IOM transport body when they were debating the introduction of an all-Island speed limit - I am approximating, but the number is about right. Not read on this site about any serious injuries (touch wood) driving the S since I've been a member, so the ratio is probably a lot higher compared to us careful lot. Luckily for me, the limit isn't being introduced so we can still stretch our little cars' legs quite legally
Old 02-05-2005, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mans Best' date='Feb 6 2005, 01:17 AM
The stats on fatalities were made available last year by the IOM transport body when they were debating the introduction of an all-Island speed limit - I am approximating, but the number is about right.
Ok , IOM stats .

I am not at all surprised at that then . It amazes me that the annual manslaughter is allowed nowadays .
Your comments on road cars being quicker still staggers me .

A guy we know who organises rwyb has been charged with manslaughter over an event he organised in the Isalnd last year , a straightish drag race and a rider on a ZX12 killed himself . As trevor was the clerk of the course its his kneck on the line

If this charge is succesful it will have a bearing on all of these rwyb and track day events .
Old 02-05-2005, 11:46 PM

Get yourself a beater.

For
Old 02-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Beaters are good, not least because of the contrast they provide when getting back in the S.

Saying that the S is not great on motorways wins prizes for stating the bleedin' obvious.

I wouldn't have thought a Renault Scenic is much use as trackday car myself.

The other thing might be that you are easily bored - with anything.

In which case, change the car. Nothing else will work.

Quick Reply: Bored of my S?