UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bored of my S?

Old 02-04-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the old YP i did a daily commute of approx 1 n half to 2 hours in and 1 hour home of slow crawling bunny hop nightmarish traffic, even the head turns to gaze at me car didnt always put a smile on me face and i became increasing stressed, especially with a non stop stressful job once i got there. In Winter it was worse cos it felt like i was in a tent when it rained BUT it never crossed my mind to sell her and as soon as i booted her round a few twistys as always got back to the "I effin love this car" type grin.

Now then I am sure you are wondering where i am going with this, but this was the 02 model and i now have an 04 model and a Rav4 and I very much doubt i would go back to daily commute with the S now I have enjoyed the effortlessness of the Rav.

I would therefore suggest selling the 04 and buying an older S which are much less forgiving, back ends more likely to go, definately more fun to drive and also buy a nice runabout for the nasty longer daily nasty pig awful commute!!

You then get best of both worlds and in Summer you can always leave the runabout at home and pop the roof down and commute in style!!

Just my opinion, hope it helps you make your decision
Old 02-04-2005, 01:38 PM

2 hours commute... wow! That's mental.

Mind you I live 5 mins away from my work... being a lazy sod though I don't walk.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer' date='Feb 4 2005, 06:31 PM
any words of advice ?
Sell it!!

Buy an original one, get some money back, covers your insurance and other costs for a bit and you get the Proper version (with VTEC kick) to play with.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM

It's the time of year. I don't appreciate mine at the moment. I'm still watching the post nervously after a camera van a few weeks back, and worrying about the greasy roads. The car is driveable at this time of year, but seldom fun - it can be in the middle of the day, but rarely before 08:00 or after 18:00. It'll get better.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:46 PM

If you're not sure if its the S or the commute, that is taking it's toll, then you've nothing to lose from testdriving another sportscar - if you find what's missing then at least you'll stop wondering if its the Honda that's the problem.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:47 PM

Dr Euan
Old 02-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' date='Feb 4 2005, 09:18 PM
I've said openly, many times, the S is a shite car for the daily commute. You need something big and German.

Meby if your too old or live in the city.

If you live in the sticks and get to open it up a lot more then the S is a great car for the daily commute.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' date='Feb 4 2005, 01:18 PM
I've said openly, many times, the S is a shite car for the daily commute. ..........I just could not commute in this car, no way. Too old for that nonsense.
I seriously beg to differ!!

I drive my car 25 miles to work and 25 miles back again every day come rain, shine, ice, hail, wind or snow. I have been doing this for nearly 4 years and the thought of driving some efficient eurobox fills me with dread.

I love driving my S to work. It is quite possible I wouldnt bother getting out of bed if the S wasn't on the drive.

And I strongly suspect I am significantly older than you Colin. Either that or I have worn very badly indeed!

Old 02-04-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ianl' date='Feb 4 2005, 10:55 PM
I seriously beg to differ!!

I drive my car 25 miles to work and 25 miles back again every day come rain, shine, ice, hail, wind or snow. I have been doing this for nearly 4 years and the thought of driving some efficient eurobox fills me with dread.

I love driving my S to work. It is quite possible I wouldnt bother getting out of bed if the S wasn't on the drive.

And I strongly suspect I am significantly older than you Colin. Either that or I have worn very badly indeed!

I look for excuses to drive... and it makes the morning a bit better on the way to work. Especially in the snow... had a blast 2 weeks ago!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 PM

It's:

1) The time of year - you have to be cautious;
2) The time of day you drive - rush hour would kill my passion for anything;
3a) The roads you drive - too many other drivers on them, making progress diffucult, and road enjoyment limited; or more likely:
3b) The roads you drive - there aren't enough corners, meaning you can get
up to silly speeds to easily.

The Southeast is a NIGHTMARE for all these reasons!

Take a couple of weekdays off, toddle up North (Yorkshire, Borders, or Scotland) or West (Dorset, Wiltshire, Wales) and hunt down an exciting road without anyone else on it!

Drove to work this week - went for a blast yesterday with another S and an MX5 (which nearly blew up!) along the A350 from Blandford Forum to Shaftesbury in Dorset. Fantastic corners, hills, and FUN - all at sensible speeds

Quick Reply: Bored of my S?