UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bored of my S?

Old 02-09-2005, 02:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yesterday was great.

Herts/Essex backlanes were as greasy as salesman's frying pan, but the sun didn't set 'til about 17:30.

I now only try to put the roof up when parked.

Mind you, don't try it on the M25. One ends up looking like a Victorian Chimney sweep boy!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not been here much recently but add my 2p to the thread.

Normally I too get bored of most cars after 6 months and due to this must have had at least 15 cars in 14 years. The S to me has been a change. I haven't got bored of it yet and don't see when I will. For me the main difference about this car is that it somehow manages to bring a smile to my face when I go for a drive. If it is country roads the sound of the HKS and speed thrill me, the roof down experience is awesome, if it rains and I am due to go for a blast I still do, if in London the short but quick acceleration is awesome as the sounds bounce off the buildings and you can drive like a nutter.

Now I do understand the problem to an extent which you face. Driving to and from work is not exciting especially not into London and back out, it is stressful at the best of times. Perhaps one problem also is your lack of time to be able to go for a drive where you don't have a destination in mind. You drive for the fun of it and this will really help. Also perhaps you are not feeling confident in the car and being the rainy season you keep yourself well within the limits of your abilities.

In which case I highly recommend you go on the 1stLotus driving day. Even if you never drive like that on public roads it will give you more confidence which then allows you to enjoy the car even more. My day there was so much fun, I came away feeling extremely happy and grinning from ear to ear. I also consider that the best purchase I have made except for buying the S.

Finally see if you can find nice roads near you. I get bored because of a lack of roads which are fun and driving the same ones over and over again doesn't provide the stimulation which is required. Happy to organise a mini meet for you as others did for me and go for a nice long drive.

I also agree with MT when he compares the MY04 to the MY02. I too owned the MY02 for a year and I do not see any difference in VTEC crossover but do notice the rear giving me more confidence around bends.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by rahula' date='Feb 9 2005, 11:35 AM
add my 2p to the thread
That was at least
Old 02-09-2005, 11:23 AM

will you be sending this to me via cheque or paypal?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:16 PM

Hi, Dreamer,

Long time since I signed on - sold my S after four years fun last June. Back driving very pedestrian cars now, but still get a thrill when (once a month!) I see an S.

Reflections, if they are any use are:

I loved the car, best I've owned for fun, like my old Ginetta G4 but with creature comforts and never caught fire!

Never had the kangaroo problem, mine would inch along in traffic at 3mph with all feet off just like my Merc auto - yours needs a fix of some sort.

Loved driving topless, winter too (great heater, big scarf, silly woolly hat, no gloves needed if you position the vents right). Worth it for the look of amazement from other drivers. Actually, I wore gloves for the pleasure of taking them off in traffic when the face-level vents got my hands too hot, but only when people were looking! Took a long time to find the setting that blows hot air in your lap, vital.

Great car for giving friends rides and scaring them witless, particularly anyone who ever called it a hairdresser's car.

OK, I had access to two other cars (but one an old Polo, how much do they cost to run?). Weather good, S2000, road parallel to motorway, bliss; weather bad, Merc, M3. Except one day when I got on the M3 and was held up for over 3 hours while they looked for a born-again biker's helmet from an overnight prang. You can guess where his head was. After that, A33 every time - you can turn round if you're not on a motorway.

But, do I miss it? 'Fraid not. In retrospect, I had four fun years but didn't do much in year 4 I hadn't done in year 1. In that time, lots of "derestricted" roads had gone to 50 or even 40. The only way to have fun is to make a detour along a country road at reasonable speed, check it's clear, then hammer back, especially at night on a tree-lined road. Seems a very limited use of
Old 02-10-2005, 01:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually, Rahul & Terry sum up my feelings very well.

Even the S2000 yawns when it's pointed up the same traffic-free derestricted road each time we go out. The S2K is a great back-roads hooligan, which is just as well, because there's hardly anywhere else one can go these days.

I've practically given up on the idea of a faster car (much as I truly admire the NSX!) because it's utterly pointless in the yUK.

I still think the S2000 was the best