UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bored of my S?

Old 02-06-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mans Best' date='Feb 7 2005, 12:52 AM
What's a "rwyb"?
Run What Ya Brung

think it is a phrase coined by the santa pod 1/4 mile people - may be wrong...
Old 02-07-2005, 12:10 AM

Jo, persist with the car, the spring will bring a renewed sense of joy and fun from her.

You got to think of the alternatives... what are they?

Go back to Audi and get a TT or A3 3.2 V6 Sline?? But they are so dull and boring to drive.

BMW? Too common.

Mercedes? Your too young!

Other Jap? 350Z good choice but too fat and lardy! 350Z roadster may be a good alternative (I love the looks - much better in the flesh) but its very very heavy.

I drive the S every day and I think the thought of driving a beater car is awful. Why own such a nice car and then want to drive some POS to work everyday? Gad excluded

You need to make some time to drive down some twisties at high speed, tends to bring back the fun for me. Occasionally I do get fed up with the kangarooing, wet driving and some of the cars other annoying features. But there just isn't an alternative that is better.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:09 AM

A bit late to this one, but I have something that I don't think anyone has mentioned (cue controversy)...

Adding a few mods to the car will not make it a new car. You sound sufficiently disenchanted that that mods alone will not re-establish the "wow". If you think they will, I suspect you are in for a costly disappointment.

(end of controversial bit)

The problem, almost by definition, is with you: the car has not changed. I would therefore conclude that you fail to be stimulated by the car (rather than the car failing to stimulate you, if you get my drift) and that only a change in your attitude will fix the problem. You can't fix the car, I'm afraid - it is what it is. Also, your journey to work and the fact that you live in the SE don't look like changing any time soon either. I mean all of that in a non-aggressive tone btw

Perhaps the summer and a roof down session through some twisties will provide the neccessary reinvigoration. I'd wait for that if only because it's a bad time of year to sell. If that doesn't work, move on.

That said, cars are cars and I think that if you got bored with the S, you'll get bored with the next one. I've been driving the 350Z for the last 3 weeks and took the S out for the first time on Saturday. Precise words to Lucy " me this is so much more fun than the 350... this car is so much more alive" (FWIW, Lucy replied "Stop driving like a maniac. I'm scared." We then had a row about my driving ). Conclusion: I do not think that there are many cars that will "wow" you after being in the S unless you want to wedge for a Noble (*Homer Simpson-esque: Mmmmmm, Noble; drool*)

Lastly, try this at your desk: imagine a really good drive in the S - the feel of the wheel in your hand, wind in your hair, road racing under the bonnet, street signs flashing past, the shifting weight of the car and shifting G, the shriek of the engine at 9,000rpm. Imagine it in first person - like you are really there. Try and bring this positive experience to mind whenever you feel low (about the car, or anything else). Might help .
Old 02-07-2005, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by S2000 SM' date='Feb 7 2005, 10:09 AM
Lastly, try this at your desk: imagine a really good drive in the S - the feel of the wheel in your hand, wind in your hair, road racing under the bonnet, street signs flashing past, the shifting weight of the car and shifting G, the shriek of the engine at 9,000rpm. Imagine it in first person - like you are really there. Try and bring this positive experience to mind whenever you feel low (about the car, or anything else). Might help .
I've just done this

I used a plastic bottle as the gear stick and used an a4 piece of paper (cut into a circle) as a steering wheel. I put on my wooly hat, used the computer on/off button to start the "pretend car"

I have been called into the managers office in 30 minutes. Don't know why

BTW S2000SM-your replies are . Always done in an analytical doctor type manner
Old 02-07-2005, 01:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer' date='Feb 4 2005, 10:18 PM
Shiskine, so right - perhaps the lows of owning the car make the highs seem higher, perhaps its just the winter blues....
And don't necessarily associate winter with the lows ...

Take a look at yesterday's Dambusters II trip. Perhaps a little tour of Scotland is what you need? It's not as far away as you think ...
Old 02-07-2005, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy' date='Feb 7 2005, 10:43 AM
1) I have been called into the managers office in 30 minutes. Don't know why

2) BTW S2000SM-your replies are . Always done in an analytical doctor type manner
1)

2) Aw shucks... - thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:04 AM

You might as well keep it until april/may anyway as it will be easier to sell at the start of good weather. By then the weather will be improving (hopefully) and you can make an decision with the weather variable out of the equation.

I drove from Brecon to Malvern yesterday all A roads, screeeeeming. Still very happy....
Old 02-07-2005, 02:58 AM

S2000 SM is spot on - modding the car, buying an 'original' or even changing it for something else won't solve the problem, it might treat the symptoms, but not the cause.

You sound like you feel the S has let you down in some way, that it's not all you'd hoped for.

Jo, why did you buy the car?
Does it still fulfill the expectations you had of it? Did it ever? What were those expectations?
Are you trying to use the car to fix problems it's never going to be able to fix?

If you get bored of things quickly then buy a car for
Old 02-07-2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi' date='Feb 6 2005, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't have thought a Renault Scenic is much use as trackday car myself.
But are you sure Gad?

BTW I think that is one of the i have read in ages
Old 02-07-2005, 04:08 AM

Thanks guys again - Mark, I bought the car for these reasons:

I wanted a car that was:

Quick
Convertible
Reasonable boot space and practicality
Good looks
Reasonably economic to run (for a sports car)!
Made me grin

The S I took on the test drive did make me grin (it had 18k on it, can't remember the age), but although mine does on occasion I do feel let down by it - specifically the lack of VTEC kick, you don't really notice it at all tbh. I also miss the low down torque of the S3, but I was expecting that.

The rest, the S fulfils; it's reasonably comfortable for a commute, it has a good boot, looks cool and is fairly economic (for a car of its class).

My original plan was to run the S for about a year, then look at buying a cheap beater, perhaps that will help - talking this through with Chris at the w/e, I suspect this is a matter of everything getting me down at the moment - work, family etc., so it's taking the pleasure out of everything and I am looking for things to fix one thing at a time.

I do hope that the fun factor comes back, thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Bored of my S?