UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bored of my S?

Old 02-04-2005, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bored of my S?

Over the last few weeks I've been coming to the conclusion that I am bored of my S.

It just doesn't "do it" for me anymore when I get in the drivers seat. I don't think the engine sounds great - sounds constrained and restricted to me and a bit thin and weedy - the vtec punch isn't great (gee thanks for taking that away from the 04's Honda), I miss the torque of the Audi, and the kangarooing in traffic is really doing my head in.

For the price I pay on insurance (about 1800 quid) and the running costs, I'm questioning whether it's worth it.

What I'm not sure is, am I really feeling this way or is it a natural "doldrums" brought on becuase of the bad weather, the fact it's my daily commute car and recently I've been in the office during the rush hour almost every day (50 mins crawling in traffic), it's 6 months since I bought the car and I've gone through the "honeymoon period" and I'm now itching to mod her, having come from the VAG world where basic mods are common and cheap (we'll not mention the Audi as it was a company car ) but uprated brakes and ECU chipping to 260bhp are not uncommon.

Has anybody else been through this with their S?

Would changing the exhaust (assuming the cost and insurance hike didn't make it impossible), the air filter (for cost purposes) and the air intake (for kangarooing, again the insurance is a factor here), really help?

If so - as nice as the HKS sounds I think the <3k rev's sound would be painful in the amount of low revs driving I do, so what else could I consider?

After the Herts meet last night I put the roof down and took her out on my own for a blast, and it was cool. I arrived at a part conclusion - I am scared witless of losing my license (after appearing in Court nearly a year ago now for >100mph on the motorway), and this is taking the fun out of driving.

Not sure I can get around this, is it the S, is it me, is it driving and cars in general.... is it that I have a lot of stressful stuff going on in life at the moment and I am down in general...

Anybody else faced something similar, any words of advice ?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to go back to an all wheel drive wooden steering Audi

I guess driving an everyday commute would take some of the magic away, buy a Muz CAI or similar to reduce the kangerooing if I were you.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:36 AM

I am a lot more paranoid when driving. The emphasis on speed reduction has spoilt a lot of my enjoyment of driving

Jo, why not book a few test drives to gauge if any other cars appeal to you ?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:37 AM

Why is this in O/T ?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Get out of London more and on to some decent roads.
I had to tell Kate this last night.

And don't tell me you haven't got time.
A top down blast in the dark should bring a smile back to your face.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Type R' date='Feb 4 2005, 06:37 PM
Why is this in O/T ?
Should def be O(n)/T(opic)!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mabe you need to take her on a little trip across the channel for some quality time together to renew your vows open roads , holiday feel and not a commute where you are sitting planning the crap for the day .

I know what you mean about the vtec , after reading the hype here I was so so disappointed the day i started flooring it
, its fun but it isn't quick , and a ride on my bike a few weeks ago reminded me what fast really is .
Old 02-04-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Busamav' date='Feb 4 2005, 06:43 PM
Mabe you need to take her on a little trip across the channel for some quality time together to renew your vows open roads , holiday feel and not a commute where you are sitting planning the crap for the day .

I know what you mean about the vtec , after reading the hype here I was so so disappointed the day i started flooring it
, its fun but it isn't quick , and a ride on my bike a few weeks ago reminded me what fast really is .
i.e. the Ring at Easter .
Old 02-04-2005, 09:49 AM

Maybe it's because you drive it every day, I think if I used mine for work it would become 'just a car' to me. I only drive it for maybe 30 minutes during the week so when I use it at the weekends it still feels special to be in.

I've heard the Mugen exhaust makes a good noise without being too loud (unfortunately it's not cheap) and some kind of snorkel intake should help with the kangarooing (I've had this too recently, even on cold days).
Old 02-04-2005, 10:29 AM

I did take her for a top down blast last night and it was okay but not incredible.

The intake prob i'll look at Muz as it's the cheapest, and exhaust I'm open to recommendations.

Unfortunately all expensive, and add to the insurance.

Recommendations for exhausts welcomed!

Quick Reply: Bored of my S?