UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Boost junkie

Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Boost junkie

The story
While at a party after the doors had, I was introduced to boost by some “friends”. The car knew I was going nowhere, and fast. That’s why I was surprised when boost came to my rescue after 5 years of barely speaking to the car. That sudden rush that hit shortly after vtec+boost kicks in, it is a sensation I will never forget. Never before had I felt so euphoric and sexually stimulated.

I only had to try it once to realize that I loved boost! Not only did I feel sexier and euphoric, but I had a grin like MB putting rohypnol in Loftusts drink. Of course, I loved using boost after that, but that very first high was unbeatable, slowly and surely i got used to boost and the small amount i had experienced before were not enough and i had to take more and more to get back to that original hit!

My mate suggested that i check into a rehab facility immediately; treating my power problem was the only way forward.

So basically i started to turned into a boost junkie (be aware of this with F/I) but decided since i still use a stock clutch I'd push it over the edge and decided to call it a day, i do not do launches nor do i ride the clutch, I'm mechanically sympathetic

So I've decided to lose some weight (not me the car). I put the car on a mild diet in the past.

Now i had the car weighted last year and it was 1240KG on a weigh bridge (analogue), i think there is a fudge factor built into these weigh bridges of -/+ 10KG but all these threads have got me thinking.

I don't want to turn the car into sardine tin either it must be daily drive, but its only worth doing if i can drop 15/20 KG's. But i dont mind hacking at bits.

Currently i have...

Installed single pipe exhaust and decat
Removed the cans of Mace/pepper spray - if MB ever comes round
Removed stock exhaust and heat shield
Removed air pump and pipes
Removed spare wheel and tool kit
Removed under bonnet heat shield

I did remove the aircon a long time ago but reinstalled it because when winter was here it took bloody ages to clear the windscreen, though i think because of the SC its not difficult to remove, cant remember if you can remove from underneath the car?

Can anyone make any suggestions?

The only other thing i can think of is hack the skeleton under the bonnet
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run on low fuel
Keep washer fluid low
Rip out carpet in boot
Remove soft top and replace with hard top?
Rip out entire dash and replace with CF with Dash2
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found removing the boot carpet creates a huge ammont of road noise and saved very little weight. I did have the 'parcel shelf' out as well though.

Would a hardtop not weigh more than the softop and it's motors?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, I ain't no boost junkie, just thinking of things you don't need!

I imagine the soft top motors are pretty heavy and the associated framework? A GRP hardtop from Spoon or some copy must weigh less...
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Leave the weight and add more boost - since you're a confirmed junkie, you know this makes more sense.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 AM

Good stuff,

Would the hacking of the under bonnet supports etc not effect rigidity? as per dav.irl thread?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 AM

Just remove the Bonnet entirely

Then there is no structural worries!

Obviously no good here, but in Florida it was very common to see 'tuner cars' with no bonnet
Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 AM

Really

Looks like a PC680 really lighter than stock by 7KG's, if running an aftermarket radio, speakers and aftercooler pump and 2 gauges do you think it will be upto the job???

Will remove the spark plug cover, and look at wing mirrors too what do APR ones weigh vs stock?
what about the front air shield under the bonnet?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 AM

No bonnet or 'hood' !
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 AM

This battery looks a lot better esp for cars and is only 0.4KG heavier than an odyssey likely to have no cold cranking problems and power most stuff other than high powered stereo systems.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/WCP20L-Westco...ery-P4100.html

Also without just jumping into this according to my calculations i need to lose at 'least' 20KG to make a difference.

Quick Reply: Boost junkie