UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet Gas Lifts/Dampers - The Budget Choice

Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers Gav, will be getting some of those then

Only a fiver's difference between the CF one and the standard ones too when taking into account postage so I think I'll go for the CF.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CF ones arn't real CF though - its a paint or cover or something.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 AM

Mine have been on over a year. I covered the ends in some gearbox oil and every now and again, i re-apply (I use hardly any BTW).

No issues and absolutely no rust either
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Hello everyone,

I just wanted a quick update on these dampers sense its been over a year. I found these same ones...
http://www.ecrater.com/p/3575481/00-01-02-...-gas-hood-shock

Are these still the the cheaper ones to go with or is there something better for a similar price?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Are these dampers ok for carbon bonnets ?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bnag0
Hello everyone,

I just wanted a quick update on these dampers sense its been over a year. I found these same ones...
http://www.ecrater.com/p/3575481/00-01-02-...-gas-hood-shock

Are these still the the cheaper ones to go with or is there something better for a similar price?
I'd say so. Not seen an alternative at this price point, and mine are still performing Okay. Corrosion to the end fitting now slightly worse but easily tidied up.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 AM

Fitted mine this weekend - they're definitely not as "quick" as everyone elses - maybe because they were cold, and maybe because they were new, but they don't support the bonnet (let al ong lift it) until it's lifted about 18 inches from shut. It's then very slow to raise.

Not really an issue - I bought them to lift the bonnet higher (which they do) and to do away with the prop (which I have).

One point on fitting them the "correct way" vs the "wrong way"; Fitting them the correct way (i.e the cylinder at the top) means that every time it opens / closes, the piston gets lubricated.

If fitted upside down (ie the cylinder at the bottom) the lubricating oil will sit at the bottom of the cylinder and never actually lubricate the top of the piston.

Granted, it's less of an issue on this sort of application, partly because it sits near horizontal when closed anyway - but that's the reason for the instructions t describe the way that they do.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Fitted mine this weekend - they're definitely not as "quick" as everyone elses - maybe because they were cold, and maybe because they were new, but they don't support the bonnet (let al ong lift it) until it's lifted about 18 inches from shut. It's then very slow to raise.

Not really an issue - I bought them to lift the bonnet higher (which they do) and to do away with the prop (which I have).

One point on fitting them the "correct way" vs the "wrong way"; Fitting them the correct way (i.e the cylinder at the top) means that every time it opens / closes, the piston gets lubricated.

If fitted upside down (ie the cylinder at the bottom) the lubricating oil will sit at the bottom of the cylinder and never actually lubricate the top of the piston.

Granted, it's less of an issue on this sort of application, partly because it sits near horizontal when closed anyway - but that's the reason for the instructions t describe the way that they do.

how much u pay for them & where u install? thks..
Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mychal
how much u pay for them & where u install? thks..
I would suggest you read my thread that I posted earlier this month:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/926...ction-success/

It gives some good advice on how to fit them (and a MUCH BETTER picture than the one that comes in the instructions).
It took me nearly 2 hours before I gave up trying to fit them reading the instructions. It took 11 minutes after the replies to my thread!

Mine cost £35 ish from Tiwain - ordered them from fleabay and they arrived in about 5 days!

Minvo !
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 AM

I paid as above and fitted them at home / between the bonnet and wing depending on how sarcastic I'm feeling

Quick Reply: Bonnet Gas Lifts/Dampers - The Budget Choice