UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet dampers/gas struts..Why hasn't everyone got them?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Chaps, considering the bonnet is normally dropped from above waist height to ensure it latches, (As I discovered what happens if you gently drop it when I first bought the car) how do you ensure you have latched the bonnet correctly when the struts will be at best dampening the drop. (At worst, trying to make the bonnet go back up)
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Quite impressive breaking one of them!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
MB

Originally Posted by Stoatmaster
Chaps, considering the bonnet is normally dropped from above waist height to ensure it latches, (As I discovered what happens if you gently drop it when I first bought the car) how do you ensure you have latched the bonnet correctly when the struts will be at best dampening the drop. (At worst, trying to make the bonnet go back up)
Er, you close the bonnet, then give it a push until you hear the latch ping
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never do that as you could bend it only being made of ally

Originally Posted by MB
+1 done every single time i have ever closed mine
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by Stoatmaster' timestamp='1323290675' post='21218853
Ah, as I have always done in my other cars. However when the bonnet tried to part ways with me the day after I bought my S, I was told on here than the bonnet should always be allowed to drop from above waist height to ensure it latches correctly. (Not as much mass as steel)

Not the case I take it?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer s2000
Rob2.2 fitted one to mine and BROKE the other one ,still works on one .
Oooops, was only the little m6 ball thingy, ive got you a nice new one from my set waiting at work, and a m6 tap set to re-drill the whole .

2 work much better i garantee mate
Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
MB

Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1323290736' post='21218859
[quote name='Stoatmaster' timestamp='1323290675' post='21218853']
Ah, as I have always done in my other cars. However when the bonnet tried to part ways with me the day after I bought my S, I was told on here than the bonnet should always be allowed to drop from above waist height to ensure it latches correctly. (Not as much mass as steel)

Not the case I take it?
[/quote]

I drop mine now I have the OEM bonnet back on, but you can also push it carefully close the the end. If you push it from too far up it will bend / dent.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1323290736' post='21218859
[quote name='Stoatmaster' timestamp='1323290675' post='21218853']

Not the case I take it?
[/quote]
I gently lower and push mine. Plus, with people being different heights and all that, surely "waist height" is a bit vague...
Old 12-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Tdi north supply the tein ones, eight speed supply them or even Vtec direct.

I have a set and their brilliant.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What really annoys me is people who pick the bonnet up and then just drop it from a height/slam it shut!. I place it down and then gently press on it.

Quick Reply: Bonnet dampers/gas struts..Why hasn't everyone got them?