UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet damaged during service!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Originally Posted by hex90' timestamp='1375817333' post='22710000
Going on the garages which I deal with in my job, if they don't complete an inspection sheet before taking the vehicle in and something is damaged or goes missing until the vehicle goes back to the customer... it is the garage who have no leg to stand on.
If they have no inspection sheet, they cannot prove their duty of care for the vehicle. No discussion.

I'll show your bonnet pic to one of my engineers tomorrow to see if they can try to work out what the damage may have been caused by.
I agree with you. However my mistake was in realising only when I got home. Therefore if it came to legal proceedings, etc. their first argument would be that it could've happened on the way home. Making it my word against theirs. In future I will just need to be more careful before driving off a garage's premises.
Don't go to any trouble over showing your engineers (though its kind of you to offer, thanks) - as I've now agreed to take 'option 1'. Not expecting miracles but they should be able to improve it.... (famous last words).
I do hope it does work out well enough on option 1. Its a lovely yellow so doing anything to the paint will be a pain in the arse.

In future, for all who read this, get the inspection sheet marked while you are there and get a copy of it.

My car should be getting booked into its first service with me soon but reading all these negative reviews about Honda dealers does make me worry a bit. The car came with full Honda history which would be a shame to ditch but I do feel my local garage would do it with much better care and cost.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by hex90
In future, for all who read this, get the inspection sheet marked while you are there and get a copy of it.
Wise words!

So, having gone for Option 1.... yesterday, they took my car in for a few hours, with the intention of doing what they refer to as a 'smart repair' - primarily consisting of dent repair, polishing out marks, touch up paint application.

I was quite impressed with the dent side of things. Though the touch up work, I feel, is pretty poor - especially as it was Honda's own bodyshop carrying out the work. I expected a better level of output in terms of accuracy and application - but at the same time, I guess I had no real expectations, apart from it being an improvement - which it is (though I think this is more down to the removal of dents, as it stops your eye being drawn).

I visited them again this lunchtime, having given the paint from yesterday to settle, and also as the bodyshop manager had indicated more than one application is required to get a better paint match.

Here are some before/after comparisons:

BEFORE:

Attachment 194143

AFTER:

Name:  LQbLkWw.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  503 Bytes

BEFORE:

Attachment 194145

AFTER:
Name:  gtiGTR5.jpg

They spent around 10min on today's touch up and when asked if they were using any form of special applicator, they mentioned it was simply a small brush. This explains the level of inaccuracy of too much paint being applied in a few places (though it doesn't show too well in the images....).

Given they had mixed the paint up from yesterday (knowing they would have to touch up again today), I asked if I could have some paint when they were finished, as they would probably have little use for it. Fortunately they agreed to supply the leftover.....

Here is some fresh Indy/Rio Yellow Pearl.....

Name:  sfSg7hU.jpg

Can anyone recommend how to best store it?? It is not in an air-tight container as you can see from all the masking tape! Will it go bad? Advice appreciated .
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Can anyone recommend how to best store it?? It is not in an air-tight container as you can see from all the masking tape! Will it go bad? Advice appreciated .
That actually looks quite disappointing, I can only imagine it's even more apparent in person than in picture.

Still it was the best you were ever going to get from them and I bet you have to be scrutinising to see it.

As for storage, a sealable tin or jar. It will eventually go 'bad' but should last a few years I would think. Sooner you get it in one the better.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 AM

That's a pretty crap job really.. 10 mins... What you want to do is build it up in thin layers so its just a bit higher than the normal paint, clearcoat it then wet paper/polish it back flush. There's tons of guides online/youtube of how to do a really good touch up job. This could be done a lot better if you/garage/other person has a crack at it properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhRYsr8luA

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity.../aa110803a.htm

http://www.idiotsguides.com/static/q...-your-car.html

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/stone-chips.htm

http://www.torquecars.com/articles/s...ip-removal.php
Old 08-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Hmm

I had a similar issue with lookers in Nottm

Terrible customer service so I went elsewhere. Since then I have spent c£2k with one of their rivals. That's opportunity cost for them and I'd never buy a car from them even if Honda made anything worthwhile.

If everyone did that these shit dealers would go bust.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich the video you posted with localised repair is only good on certain colours, notice how the video is done with a practically black car not a bright yellow
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That's not a smart repair. It's what any off us could have done with Honda touch up paint.

A proper smart repairer will fill the scratches with paint and flat it flush with the rest of the paintwork. Because the actual scratches are actually pretty small the amount of paint added is tiny so the even if the colour match isn't perfect the colour mismatch will be very difficult to see.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Personally I wouldn't be happy with that at all, that's nothing more than a touch up applied. I'd have to get the whole bonnet/ wings done if it was mine.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

That's a terrible repair, I've just resprayed a load of damage on an insignia with rattle cans and it's 10x better than that.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Can you feel the 'repair' with your finger?

If you can then I reckon it can def be improved up with some sanding and polish.