UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet damaged during service!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
talk to a couple of smart repairers

I'd be amazed if you can't find someone who can provide an almost invisible repair

get recommendations from someone in your area rather than going straight to the franchisees like chipsaway
Smart repair in the middle of a huge bonnet painted 3 stage yellow? Not a chance
Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBes2k
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1374404374' post='22678269
talk to a couple of smart repairers

I'd be amazed if you can't find someone who can provide an almost invisible repair

get recommendations from someone in your area rather than going straight to the franchisees like chipsaway
Smart repair in the middle of a huge bonnet painted 3 stage yellow? Not a chance
Do you actually know what SMART repair is or what it entails?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by lower
Do you actually know what SMART repair is or what it entails?
Oops!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 AM

Another update to bring some closure to this....

The dealer principle has reiterated/re-offered the original options-

1) "We repair the dents and touch up the paint to make good the job – smart repair – as discussed"
2) "Fully paint the bonnet and tops of wings – as discussed and as a gesture of good will we will contribute to the £1024 bill and charge this to you at £700"
Option 2 has ridiculous costs attached and given some of the feedback in this thread around smart repairs, option 1 seems to be the most viable option. They should be able to take the car in within a week so fingers crossed for the outcome. I'll update the link in my sig when complete.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 AM

You'll never get option 2 volunteered by them. Your custom just isn't worth that amount to them on the margin they make from servicing. Unless you feel you've strong enough evidence they did it to pursue small claims court it's a lost cause.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 AM

Wooden dollars to the dealership in my opinion. The only cost would be the paint. Such a shame you didn't notice this before you drove away.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Indy Yellow Pearl S from new and it was reversed into on our drive by Mrs P in her Multipla. The OSF front wing was badly damaged requiring a new one, as well as a new headlight and front bumper. The front bumper came painted from Honda and the new wing was painted by the body shop - they did a fantastic job of matching the paint on the wing to the bonnet and bumper; any good repairer ought to be able to sort it.

The downside is that the paint and the lacquer were extremely expensive...
Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 AM

I'd take option 1, put it down to experience to double check / photo your car before handing it over if in doubt. A good touch up and detail job should hide most of this damage
Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM

Going on the garages which I deal with in my job, if they don't complete an inspection sheet before taking the vehicle in and something is damaged or goes missing until the vehicle goes back to the customer... it is the garage who have no leg to stand on.
If they have no inspection sheet, they cannot prove their duty of care for the vehicle. No discussion.

I'll show your bonnet pic to one of my engineers tomorrow to see if they can try to work out what the damage may have been caused by.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by hex90
Going on the garages which I deal with in my job, if they don't complete an inspection sheet before taking the vehicle in and something is damaged or goes missing until the vehicle goes back to the customer... it is the garage who have no leg to stand on.
If they have no inspection sheet, they cannot prove their duty of care for the vehicle. No discussion.

I'll show your bonnet pic to one of my engineers tomorrow to see if they can try to work out what the damage may have been caused by.
I agree with you. However my mistake was in realising only when I got home. Therefore if it came to legal proceedings, etc. their first argument would be that it could've happened on the way home. Making it my word against theirs. In future I will just need to be more careful before driving off a garage's premises.
Don't go to any trouble over showing your engineers (though its kind of you to offer, thanks) - as I've now agreed to take 'option 1'. Not expecting miracles but they should be able to improve it.... (famous last words).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, and it's only fair to bring it up, that the dealer principle also offered 40% off my next service as a gesture to keep my custom. They know full well they've undertook every service since the car was first registered, and so are playing to the fact I may want a service history with one sole garage. I'll make a decision on that next year....

Quick Reply: Bonnet damaged during service!