UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet damaged during service!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think realistically that went out the window when ch3t it admitted it could have happened anywhere. For all anyone knows it did not happen on the Honda premises

The lesson for us all here is to double check the car over before we drive it away!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Leave it for now and get a proper detailer to touch it up when you're back from your honeymoon.

Its not worth having something like that ruin your one time only wedding and honeymoon
Tell me about it, what disastrous timing!
They have said if I take Option 2 they will turn it around within half a day next week, have someone drop me off to my office whilst they work on the car. All in time for the wedding, etc.

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
I know it probably sounds silly, but have you considered touch up paint? Touch up paint layered in nicely to fill the chips, with the proper clear coat, then blended in and polished properly by a skilled detail-er would hide 90% of that I reckon.
It doesn't sound silly. In fact, we have a separate thread on that option HERE. I mentioned it again to the bodyshop manager today, who said that the scratches are too small for the job with touch up pain to be effective. That you need a larger area to work with in order to get the right 'layered' application. He also stated the areas that have been touched up would standout as a result.

Originally Posted by nikc1
Don't accept any of their options. I'd be feckin furious if this happened to me. The dealership has a duty of care to look after your vehicle whilst it is on their premises. Ask to see the jobcard & see if the tech noted any damage to the bonnet. If you're 100% sure that this happened on site then i'd accept no other option than the dealership paint/rectify this. What will it cost them? sure, they'll lose out on labour but if they have a bodyshop then the only cost will be paint/materials. Not much in my opinion to keep a loyal customer happy?! The dealership will have rectification costs built into their monthly budget for these situations.
By the way, I used to work in a dealership that was right beside the sea where we used to have a lot of problems with seagulls shitting on all the cars! One day I was sitting in a customer's car with the owner & the next thing the sunroof shattered. We shit ourselves... haha! But what happened was we found a small rock beside the car & you could see where it had dropped onto the sunroof. the only way this could have happened was that a seagull had picked it up then dropped it, unfortunately, onto the owners car. I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes. You couldn't write this stuff!! The point is, we had to fix it for the owner as it happened ON OUR PREMISES.
Believe me I was furious. You know that feeling you get when you clip your wheel on a kurb? The anger that builds up inside. It was that magnified. Magnified because I hadn't caused the damage! I've already asked to see an inspection sheet showing the condition of the before the service began but this seems to have been forgotten. It a case of my word against theirs. Neither party has proof of their respective argument. They believe they are showing goodwill with Option 2 because they want their customers to return!!!

As for your experience with the seagull and rock, the fact that both you and the customer were present when it happened makes life much much easier, with respect to arguing where (premises) the damage occurred, therefore helping identify who is liable.

I am now wondering that by offering Option 2, and offering part (tiny) ownership of the cost attributed to Option 3, are they admitting part liability? I'm not sure. Just want to get working towards some sort of resolution. At the moment it seems Option 2 or nothing.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 AM

I know its now hard to prove as you never noticed this when the vehicle was in the garage but stand your ground by telling them that it is no ordinary daily runner & you know 100% that this was not there when you dropped the vehicle off as you check it, wash it, polish it, rub it, kiss & caress it every other day!! As I said call & write to the DP. If it is a group find out & write to the managing director.
Youll be amazed at what a letter to the right person can achieve!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 AM

I told I'm adamant the damage was not there when the car was handed over to them. The after sales manager, who used to be the service manager (his name has come up frequently here on S2ki) went on to them describe situations where damage occurs and they accept full liability instantly. Then they have cases where the customer tries on it with them and they need to take a second look at the damage. Without spelling it out, it was obviously intimating this case falls into the latter scenario. Does he really think I'd waste my time to raise this with them in the same fortnight of my wedding, if I was "trying it on" ? .

This inspection today only took place because I had engaged the DP (who is the MD) last week. I have written to him again today to summarise the meeting and the options provided by his employees. I have openly asked him whether he feels this is satisfactory customer service and what he would do if this happened to his car. He was apologetic and sympathetic last week, I am hopeful of a response but of course it is not guaranteed.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by ch3tman
I told I'm adamant the damage was not there when the car was handed over to them. The after sales manager, who used to be the service manager (his name has come up frequently here on S2ki) went on to them describe situations where damage occurs and they accept full liability instantly. Then they have cases where the customer tries on it with them and they need to take a second look at the damage. Without spelling it out, it was obviously intimating this case falls into the latter scenario. Does he really think I'd waste my time to raise this with them in the same fortnight of my wedding, if I was "trying it on" ? .

This inspection today only took place because I had engaged the DP (who is the MD) last week. I have written to him again today to summarise the meeting and the options provided by his employees. I have openly asked him whether he feels this is satisfactory customer service and what he would do if this happened to his car. He was apologetic and sympathetic last week, I am hopeful of a response but of course it is not guaranteed.
I hope they sort this for you. As I mentioned with my scenario it could have been some twat taking a dislike & throwing something at it over a fence or something falling on it from nearby premises. Looking at it, it is like something has skiffed over it from n/s to o/s. Is there anything in the workshop that could have caused this? exhaust extractor? something above ramp? If it was in their care then the garage should be rectifying this for you. the only downside is that you never noticed before leaving. Stand your ground & DO NOT back down.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

DanBeS2K very accurately describes the problem on the other thread. Pearls are swines...

You could end up chasing the mismatch round the whole car.

TBH, you might have to try paint correction and touch-up as the most pragmatic option; the least-worst scenario.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
DanBeS2K very accurately describes the problem on the other thread. Pearls are swines...

You could end up chasing the mismatch round the whole car.

TBH, you might have to try paint correction and touch-up as the most pragmatic option; the least-worst scenario.
Nick, I think you're spot on. Chasing the colour around the car would be a catastrophe, and the damage does not warrant getting stuck into that seemingly never-ending spiral

I may ask them to (best) apply the original touch up paint in tandem with their 'polish' technique as in Option 2 - if that option is the one I end up taking.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

A decent garage would've gone over the car with you as another poster has said to confirm any other marks before they took it in.

If they haven't I'd be stringing them up over that.

I had to do that whenever I was doing a headunit back in halfords took longer than the job!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Toms1989
A decent garage would've gone over the car with you as another poster has said to confirm any other marks before they took it in.

If they haven't I'd be stringing them up over that.

I had to do that whenever I was doing a headunit back in halfords took longer than the job!!!
That's a good point. I asked them for exactly this type of report in writing over a week ago, but nothing. The cynic in me now thinks that they actually performed this task in covert fashion yesterday!! Them seeing the car didn't actually progress the bonnet situation any further, however, what the three of them did do is analyse the car - they were going around the body and pointing things out to me; "your centre badge on your wheel has corroded", "you've got a slight mark here", "I can see two little car park door knocks here", etc.

It just goes to show my confidence in them, or lack of, that I'm now wondering if they used yesterday's meeting to perform the pre-service assessment of the car, and rushed back to fill in the relevant forms. Surely not.... .
Old 07-21-2013, 02:59 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

talk to a couple of smart repairers

I'd be amazed if you can't find someone who can provide an almost invisible repair

get recommendations from someone in your area rather than going straight to the franchisees like chipsaway

Quick Reply: Bonnet damaged during service!