UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet damaged during service!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Wouldn't think so that far down the bonnet, but they could well have lifted it underneath something and not realised how far up the bonnet goes on the S.
Well, it would be easy for the OP to find out for certain, very carefully of course.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Sorry to hear that, was this Chiswick? Speak to Paul Wilson, svc mgr, should sort you out.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Do you keep the car outside? Don't forget there are little scrotes about could have thrown something at it like a brick, it looks like something has gone across the bonnet rather than been dropped on it. We are quick to blame the dealership but it could be anything. Your body shop guy is right, front end repaint.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 AM

^ DanBes2k - regardless of where the car is kept, the damage was noticed as I got back from the service. And I stayed/waited there during the service itself, not that you can see the car anyway. They kept it for ~4hrs for a quoted 2hr service.... You are right though, it could be anything.

Originally Posted by cali
Sorry about the bonnet. Your car was mint when I first saw it. Are you giving up on the fight? Let them compensate you
Thanks cali , for the large part it still is in great condition.
Some of my colleagues couldn't spot the damage straight away however it draws my attention instantly!

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
Originally Posted by WinFreak' timestamp='1373645503' post='22662354
Wouldn't think so that far down the bonnet, but they could well have lifted it underneath something and not realised how far up the bonnet goes on the S.
Well, it would be easy for the OP to find out for certain, very carefully of course.
Good point, I shall have a look when I get the chance.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:14 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you notice it when you got it home, or at the garage when you picked it up?

If it was at home, I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on as from their point of view it could have been something you or someone else did. If you literally drove it home and notified them straight away you would be on a better place but still not an easy situation
Old 07-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

MB's right, I'm sorry to say. I think mine might have had a hose dragged across it by the 'courtesy paint destroyers' producing something vaguely similar, but I cut it out OK in the end.

Is yours the metallic or solid yellow?

Either way, I'd be tempted to go the touch-up route. Otherwise you could be chasing green or even blue colour blending all round the car...
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 AM

My first S was damaged by the car washer at my dealership, every panel was scratched, looked like they'd used a scouring pad to wash it. Luckily I spotted the damage before I left the premises, they admitted fault and got it sorted and they were brilliant about it. If I'd have driven home I don't think they'd have been so ready to admit liability. Hopefully you'll get it sorted, if not by them a decent bodyshop or maybe the touch up/wet n dry technique.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Is yours the metallic or solid yellow?
Either way, I'd be tempted to go the touch-up route. Otherwise you could be chasing green or even blue colour blending all round the car...
It's the metallic/pearlescent yellow which I understand is extremely difficult to colour match, due to several layers required to achieve the right 'temperature' in the paint. For the reasons you describe, I'd like to avoid any form of respray.....

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
MB's right, I'm sorry to say. I think mine might have had a hose dragged across it by the 'courtesy paint destroyers' producing something vaguely similar, but I cut it out OK in the end.
MB & Nick - although I noticed as soon as I got back, immediately called and notified them, spoke to the service manager the following morning and sent photos by lunchtime, you're both absolutely correct, it makes my position that little less promising.

I won't be posting any more email correspondence here but I must point out at this stage that Chiswick have come across quite prompt and professional during this situation thus far and equally willing to want to understand how this could have happened, which is commendable...
  • They have now ruled out the possibility of being able to polish the damage out - given the way and depth the paint has been damaged.
  • I requested CCTV footage be reviewed, of not only the workshop area but the valet area too, and even offered to trawl through the recording myslef. However there is no footage available...
  • I asked whether a summary describing the condition of the car was completed before the service began, but this was not provided/discussed just yet.
With respect to taking any initiative or ownership, well, they have agreed to come to my offices (~7 min away) at some point this week to inspect the damage and suggest the best way forward. The current service manager, after sales manager (who I am led to believe, according to some very old posts on this forum, was the service manager for the best part of the last decade) will bring their bodyshop manager to assess the bonnet. I have no idea what to expect but hope we can work towards a resolution.

The above may or may not have been accelerated by bringing this situation to the attention of their MD/Dealer Principle - who apologised for the inconvenience and promised an investigation.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 AM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of the damage. Unfortunately this is why I get so paranoid about leaving anything worth something to me in the hands of people who care considerably less. I hope you get it sorted soon.

As an aside, I remember when you were looking at servicing options when you first got your car and I told you of my experience at Chiswick. Cut a long story short they managed to replace an incorrect tyre (supplied by another inept dealer) with a new, same, incorrect tyre. They couldn't put it right and apologized when I pointed out the error, but it makes you wonder what they do or how much attention their employees pay to their work. That was enough to make me not use them again and seek a smaller, more personal dealer.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Hi MrM, reading your post I do remember reading your advice back then - despite the number of years that have passed!!
You make a good point, and it does make you wonder what does on behind closed doors. I even had to ask them to double check they were using was fully synthetic oil and not the semi synth stuff they may have had laying around for other cars in for service at the same time. Not to suggest they've ever used the incorrect oil, but my link below, for a review of their most recent service, will explain why confidence levels dropped....

Link: https://www.s2ki.com/...9#entry22654089

I can't complain much at all regarding the previous 4 years experience I've with them.

EDIT: I've just found your original post - and see you used to use Crown Bushey. However since Jorge and Manuel moved on from there in ~2010, I'd be interested in knowing who you use?

Quick Reply: Bonnet damaged during service!