UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A BMW driver would like to make the following statement....

Old 12-13-2002, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi A4? Merc C class? Lexus IS? A 3 series is not much more than a mondeo in this company

and god forbid a Honda!

Out of that lot I think SAAB have the biggest potential. They are not much more than a Vauxhall at the mo (but far better looking) and could make a serious RWD/4WD executive mobile if it really tried/had the budget as I don't think many people really have a strong opinion on them. A certain amount of understatedness and exclusivity is required (something that bmw certainly DON'T have).
Old 12-13-2002, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by Dracoro
Audi A4? Merc C class? Lexus IS? A 3 series is not much more than a mondeo in this company

and god forbid a Honda!

Out of that lot I think SAAB have the biggest potential. They are not much more than a Vauxhall at the mo (but far better looking) and could make a serious RWD/4WD executive mobile if it really tried/had the budget as I don't think many people really have a strong opinion on them. A certain amount of understatedness and exclusivity is required (something that bmw certainly DON'T have).
Hmmm

I forgot about those, but I doubt the Audi, Merc or Lexus would be on that many peoples' options list. I'm a bit out of touch with corporate life though, so they could well be.

The Audi and Merc are a bit staid, whereas BMW do foster the old 'ultimate driving machine' appeal, justified or not. I quite like the baby Lexus, although they are quite often driven by hooligans. Nice easy prey for the S though!

Tried an Accord recently and thought it was very poor.

I share your wish for something understated and exclusive but I don't think the masses do!

Agree with your Saab comments - I'd like to see their marketing strategy
Old 12-15-2002, 12:24 PM
BAP

Let's not even talk about Mondeo drivers ....1
Old 12-16-2002, 11:18 AM

Personally, I never subscribed to the "I'm successful, which German car should I buy?" club.

IMO, overpriced, and the common or garden ones are not too reliable...and boy are they common

I spent a week in Latvia recently and, though it's a poor country, in between the Ladas there are plenty of BMWs. Guess what was the make of the only cars we saw broken down at the roadside? Clue; it wasn't the Ladas

Personally, I'm very happy with my S and using my wife's Focus when I have to. The answer to the question "what will be my next car?" is simple. If I really have to replace it, it'll have to be with another S
Old 12-16-2002, 06:13 PM

German cars are seen as the car to have in Australia. The manufacturers have done an excellent job in build quality and reliability, so awards are regularly given to Porsche, BMW and Mercedes. As local Fords and GM are not built to the same quality, it is easy to see why folks buy the imports. In fact over the years both Ford and GM have marketed cars as "being built in Germany" to be associated with the quality.

It doesn't help that the Government puts luxury car tax on them so they are really seen as high end cars and this attracts the status. So people buy a Z3 to be associated with a luxury brand even though they could buy a comparable Japanese vehicle for less.

IMO BMW have been very successful at marketing their cars and raising their profile from a people mover to a luxury car. BMWs of the 60s and 70s were "normal" cars and then the marketeers came along and did a great job in moving them up the luxury scale.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:42 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by swells65

IMO BMW have been very successful at marketing their cars and raising their profile from a people mover to a luxury car. BMWs of the 60s and 70s were "normal" cars and then the marketeers came along and did a great job in moving them up the luxury scale.
V. true

I stand to be corrected, but I think that if you go right back, they were making 3 wheel bubble cars!

Over here, many people like to slag them off, but it's interesting to see what happens when people really have the chance to run one.

Two of the companies I work for offer fairly basic beemers amongst the options for their staff. The overwhelming take up is for a beemer, not a more highly specced Ford/Vauxhall etc. So the marketing is still working. Plus, aren't they RWD?........

There is a bigger problem with older models, which definitely acquire a down-market image, being the weapon of choice for some well dodgy characters!

I certainly agree that, generally, they are becoming much more common. However, one thing they do very well is to make a top of the range model in each series that is genuinely stunning (mostly).

How many people would honestly turn down a new M3 or M5? I damn well wouldn't. The association is enough for many people.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi
[B]

However, one thing they do very well is to make a top of the range model in each series that is genuinely stunning (mostly).

How many people would honestly turn down a new M3 or M5?
Old 12-17-2002, 12:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by MarkB
Not all BMW drivers are w@nkers, but many of the w@nkers on the road drive BMWs
*Ding*

When I travel into work on my bike I often come up behind BMW's sitting on the outside lane on an empty A1M occasionaly they will move over but not often.

BMW bike riders are not much better. Only time I have ever seen a bike on the outside lane of a motorway with a queue of cars behind trying to get past was a BMW bike
Old 12-17-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Man's Best
There'll never be a German car in my garage - not that I like to be controversial, you understand
I'll never buy a new German car mainly because the family is a Jaguar one and I'll get shot! It was bad enough buying a Honda! When I was home in October I had to explain why Jags are so expensive here and way out of my budget!

I suggested that I would buy British when I can get a comparable car to the Honda!
Old 12-18-2002, 01:48 AM

I don't know what it is about them, but I just hate them so much It seems to be mainly the 316i and 318is models that annoy me the most.

There is a J plate that goes down the A1 every morning towards London and I think it is compounded by the fact it is a droptop, she just sits there going about 60. If she ever reads this thread she'll know who she is!

Maybe next time I get infront of one, I'll return the favour

Bummer about the points though m8.

Mike

Quick Reply: A BMW driver would like to make the following statement....