UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A BMW driver would like to make the following statement....

Old 12-13-2002, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing like a bit of blanket stereotyping. My car before my S2000 was a BMW, my car after the S2000 will be a BMW. Does that make me a S2000 driver or a BMW driver?
Old 12-13-2002, 03:25 AM

BMW don't have this image for no reason you know. you accept the image of whatever car you buy. if you can put up/like/ignore the image problem then go forth and buy whatever you want. We all stereotype all the time. some stereotypes are justified somewhat, some are not. bmw stereotype is justified as a high proportion of their drivers are as the stereotype portrays. especially in comparison to some other stereotypes.

Do you DRIVE like a bmw driver though???

I drive a Honda, not exactly the most awe inspiring manufacturer in the world but hey, I like the s2000 lots so I bought one.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Dracoro
bmw stereotype is justified as a high proportion of their drivers are as the stereotype portrays. especially in comparison to some other stereotypes
Profound
Old 12-13-2002, 04:08 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

BMW don't have this image for no reason you know. you accept the image of whatever car you buy. if you can put up/like/ignore the image problem then go forth and buy whatever you want. We all stereotype all the time. some stereotypes are justified somewhat, some are not. bmw stereotype is justified as a high proportion of their drivers are as the stereotype portrays. especially in comparison to some other stereotypes.

Which ones aren't?

Yes, we all stereotype/generalise (that's another one ) but unfortunately I find that most people can't accept an unflattering stereotype that includes them.

BabyNSX - I'm not having a dig at you at all. I see where you are coming from and have owned Beemers myself.

FWIW I think envy has a lot to do with the BMW generalisations. BMWs are very well made, attractive and often more expensive than many of the other cars on the road. This irritates the losers of this world, as does any other obvious symbol that someone is doing better than them. All of my 'flash' cars have attracted hassle from other road users - regardless of my driving style.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:19 AM

I'll have to come to the defense of the BMW driver here - as an ex M3 driver myself some of the bad attitude displayed towards me on many occassions by other road users did sometimes make me think 'if I can't beat them join them' - I am sure there are plenty of Beemer drivers who end up driving like an @rse because it's expected?
Old 12-13-2002, 05:26 AM

I think envy has a lot to do with the BMW generalisations.
I think that USED to be the case but now you can get lowly 3 series for similar money to a mondeo. This works the other way round (i.e. people buying lowly 3 series purely to buy into the bmw marque)

I can understand people (esp comp car drivers) who'd rather a 318 to a mondeo or vectra but then there's audi's, mercs, vws, alfa's too which IMO have a more respectible image than bmw.

At the end of the days, all manufacturers have an image for better or for worse. No one would deny that bmw's image has deteriorated somewhat in the last 10 years, although the sales have gone up (mainly due to cheap 3 series).

This is certainly not a dig at the cars themselves as bmw make fine automobiles (although lowly/popular 3 series are a bit underpowered and hardly any equipment etc.) but IMO if you're somewhat image concious why buy something you see loads of everyday on the road.

I'm sure many/most bmw drivers are no different to any other drivers on the road (& I certainly don't treat them any differently on the road as I would anyone else) but there is no denying that nowadays the marque attracts a certain type of buyer at the lower end of the budget scale. (this image problem certainly isn't so applicable at the 5/7 series level though)

I know of people who used to have bmws but have moved away for the very reasons pointed out.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:12 AM

I'm sure many/most bmw drivers are no different to any other drivers on the road
...oooohhhhh yes they arrrreee.......
Old 12-13-2002, 06:44 AM

...oooohhhhh yes they arrrreee.......
The best BM drivers are when...
Heeeeeee's beehiiiiiiiiind you......

Old 12-13-2002, 07:09 AM

Or:-

Not all BMW drivers are w@nkers, but many of the w@nkers on the road drive BMWs
Old 12-13-2002, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dracoro
[B]

Quick Reply: A BMW driver would like to make the following statement....