UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Blown Engine - Any advice?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Engine - Any advice?

My '03 s2000 gave up with a loud rattle, a clunk and a total loss of power in the fast lane last Monday. There was a trail of oil behind it when it came to a stand still on the hard shoulder. A significant pool of oil developed under the engine block as it sat there waiting for the AA.

It was purchased in July '03 new. It has been Honda serviced each anniversary at just under book mileage. It's last service was in July 06 (about 25,000 miles). When it gave up it had done 32,000 miles and was 6 months out of warranty.

My Honda dealer diagnosed the fault as one of the com rods coming through the side of the engine. Today they reported that Honda will not make any 'goodwill' gesture 'on this occasion'. They have cited
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 AM

Bloody hell - two blown engine posts in one day

Really sorry to hear this. I suspect you're not going to get anywhere with Honda so your best bet is to start ringing around salvage yards to find a second hand engine. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure
Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Blimey, 2 engines gone... this is worrying (as I'm looking to buy). Sorry to hear this - what was the mileage on your engine?

I can't believe that Honda won't fix it through goodwill - threaten them with a newspaper feature/watchdog. Hondas reputatuion is built on it's engines.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:54 AM

2 in one day wtf is going on.

really sorry to hear,id start looking for second hand engine.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:16 AM

Unlucky, I know how you feel.

Hope everything gets sorted soon.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:21 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Given its not far out of warranty, I find it pretty poor that Honda have not even offered to contrubute. Its a main dealer serviced car.

What is their basis for saying lack of oil? Hopefully not because there was none in the sump

You have 2 plans of attack IMO.

1) Kick up a fuss and get them to cave in. If they dont then you could get an indipendant report done. Ok it may have been low on oil but was this because of the failure itself? Chicken and egg syndrome. These cars are know to use a lot of oil. Difficult case to fight, but the service history and age are on your side.

2) Get a second hand engine from a breaker, for about a grand, and fitted for about
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned

I think this is just the legacy of the company car brigade trading theirs in after years of neglect. Bad luck mate, best just start scanning all the breakers you can find for a new engine.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by europa,Feb 26 2007, 03:53 PM
Blimey, 2 engines gone... this is worrying (as I'm looking to buy). Sorry to hear this - what was the mileage on your engine?

I can't believe that Honda won't fix it through goodwill - threaten them with a newspaper feature/watchdog. Hondas reputatuion is built on it's engines.
Originally Posted by marky mark @ Feb 26 2007, 03:45 PM
When it gave up it had done 32,000 miles and was 6 months out of warranty.
RTFT

Second hand engines can be had for about
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

To add, the sump contains about 4.5 litres to get a good level on the dip stick.

Each mark is 100 ml from memory? You have to have quite a low volume of oil to totally starve it, cant remember what though?

Trouble is you dont know how much was on the floor.

A lot on here have had oil usage levels, to the point they have been on min when they checked the sitck.

MB
Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Feb 26 2007, 04:21 PM
Given its not far out of warranty, I find it pretty poor that Honda have not even offered to contrubute. Its a main dealer serviced car.
Indeed, you'd hope they'd at least give you the labour for free and let you source your own replacement.

Between this sort of thing and the whole seized bolt issue, remind me why the S2000 keeps winning the customer satisfaction surveys? A properly serviced 30,000 mile 3 year old engine really shouldn't be failing like this.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine - Any advice?