UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Blown Engine!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your "average" intake?? The average one around here doesn't have hoses, it looks like this:

Perhaps you mean one like this?:

Old 07-28-2005, 07:07 AM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the latter I reckon. Unless is was one of those ice cube making ARC ones...
Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im really sorry to hear this mate. I had the same thing at 30K miles in my MY00 they blamed it on a spoon ECU! But it was definitely either a dropped valve or an oil jet blockage or something like that. I ended up having to pay for the repairs myself.

If your car is under the 3 years manufacturers warranty then keep the pressure on, the likely hood of a cai causing a catastrophic failure of an engine is negligible all it is is a replacement for your filter and airbox nothing more! Get in touch with the manufacturers of the cai and ask them to provide documentation stating how unlikely this is. Also get in touch with someone like Barwell racing in the UK who build Touring cars and use AP1 engines and ask them if they will provide some support to help you.

If your out of warranty then don
Old 07-28-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look on ebay as we speak and there is an engine gear box for less than
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your support guys. Nice to get some feedback and advice.

Havin a look at that engine on ebay, but only worried about whether its ok or any probs with it. Would'nt know till its fitted i guess.

I'll see what the stealer says is damaged n how much I'm looking at and take it from there. Either way, my suntan is fading lol. (either laff or cry right)

I'll let u know wot happens, hopefully mid next week.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 PM

The mechanics explaination sounds flawed but not as much BS as you'd think.

I did a trial on something similar at work. We do a 100% check of engines leaving the factory before they're installed to vehicle. When we did a model change we had to blank off the intake side of one of the PCV hoses for testing. Unfortunately if you do too good a job at blanking the blow by gas pressure can get massively high (enough to start blowing hoses off the engine and forcing oil out of the head gasket).

One slight difference in this case (I think because I'm struggling to understand the description) is that we blanked off the positive pressure hose rather than the negative pressure which is what your description sounds like
Old 07-28-2005, 01:52 PM

Just as a quick aside point. I'd like to give a view from the other side of the fence. A major part of my job is engine development, testing and warranty investigation.

On the last model change project I worked on (and bear in mind this was a minor model change rather than a completely new unit design) I guess I put in a combined total of 4000 hours worth of engine testing in pre-production using off tool off process parts (plus the testing that design did which will be at least the same amount as well) to make sure that all the components don't cause an unexpected change. We do that so that we can GUARANTEE your engine. As soon as you start ing around with any part of your engine you nulify that warranty.

Example (and I take this from experience) how can you call my engine testing and engine assembly no good if you change the intake manifold, drop a bolt in the intake manifold system which it then drags into the chamber and totals the engine.

In your case you mucked about with the intake system and something went bang. Now I don't have the facilities to test a Honda engine to tell if exactly what happened is a valid reason for the engine to fail (although the engine I work on shows signs of what you describe and to be honest most engines will behave in a similar fashion since the concept is the same) but the brutal truth is you changed something, it went bang and engine warranty is only valid if it's in the as built condition.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:04 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good point. Ive always viewed mods as "at your own risk"

I look after a set of gas turbines at work, made by Rolls Royce. A previous engineer decided he would modify one of the stage filtration sets, by removing it and welding in some water nock out vanes. Without consulting the vendor on a warrantied turbine package!

Not only does it alter the airflow and inlet pressure drop, but the intake wasn't cleaned before startup. What happened? Piece of welding rod was left in there, shot through the compressor module and through the whole turbine. Think Rolls Royce were interested in the warranty claim? $1m USD please Dealers do have to frown on a lot of mods to some extent. it seems from reading on the US section, that some dealers approve superchargers as a mod on the S!

Think we're often guilty of not thinking about mods. Some of the intakes on Impreza's are so bad that they can actually destroy an engine in a matter of hours. No joke.

MB
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kind of thing gets me sooooooo ANGRY!!!

Dealers push their luck far too much when it comes to blaming faults on simple mods on cars FCUKING CAI causing the engine to be starved of oil W@^KERS....
**EDIT** the only time a CAI 'could' cause a problem is if you had the wrong type of filter I.E. an oil coated cotton gauze "but" this still wouldn't kill your engine, it would just knacker the MAP sensor thus throwing a code "WELL" before any damage can happen to the engine!

*Get a solicitor and an idependant report from a motor body like the AA or a well know tuning company and give it to them both barrels!*

If I was local I'd go to garage myself and tell them how it is
Old 07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, I do think in this example its not a valid argument, I was more pointing towards big mods

MB

Quick Reply: Blown Engine!