UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Blown away by a Scooby this morning..........

Old 12-16-2003, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown away by a Scooby this morning..........

well I was in the Toyota.....

anyone been up against a Scoob in the S2000 and if so how do they compare....?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Only ever lost to one in a traffic light grand prix. Didn't really expect to win and I won't dump the clutch but he didn't get a good start either.

Classic yo-yo for 50 yds then the road narrows into one. He is a bonnet in front and on the outside facing oncoming traffic. I could hold him (and I have third coming!) or he would have to barge into me but that would not be fun at all.

So I shut down and let him go.

I was very happy since everyone tells me Scoobs are the fastest (car) thing you can get 0-40.

Tackled a few in dual carriageway situations - all depends who gets the jump and if you are expecting action. There have been a number of occasions where I've seen them coming and got in the right gear. No probs then. Over 90 they are a bit slower than us.

Know way of knowing if they are standard but I wouldn't count it as a race if they weren't. All a 350bhp tuned Scoob has in common with the std Impreza turbo is the badge. If I beat a 360 Modena in a Morris 1000 with a dragster engine in it, am I driving a Morris 1000?

My views on this are well known.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:32 AM

I used to muller them in a straightline in the M3
Old 12-16-2003, 01:55 AM

Its worth ago on the standard scoobys, but think twice on the STI especially with the prodrive kit.

For a traffic light drag, probably no chance. It will only be a small margin but its not worth it unless its a real long straight in which you can progress over 100mph (which im no way implying one should) and the weathers good.

They just have so much more torque than ours, but they dont have V-tec, the turbo kicks in at quite low rpm. The only way to win, come up behind them V-tec past, you put some good distance in they wont touch you.

Its tried and tested, my mates got the STI with a prodrive kit.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:07 AM

I rarely try and standing start GP....I am not consistent enough with my launch technique........plus revving the engine prior to a clutch dump sounds sooooo boy racerish and you look a prick if you cock it up
Old 12-16-2003, 02:54 AM

Thats good then, next time you meet one, fierce him up - see what happens.

theres nothing better than the look of shock on there face when keeping up with them!
Old 12-16-2003, 02:56 AM

IMO The S is about the same as my standard 220bhp mark 1 scoob. The Scooby can put it's power down better though.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:03 AM

My mate has a 95WRX (260bhp) and there's very little in it. On the track, the S2000 is faster through the twisties but loses out a little in the straights.

On the road, it'll be easier for a std scoob, however if the S2000 is well driven then it will be quicker. The older std scoobs are a bit quicker than the current batch which have no more power but more weight.

Obviously, don't even bother if it's a scoob with 280+ bhp! (Sti's etc.)
Old 12-16-2003, 03:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dracoro
Old 12-16-2003, 04:54 AM

I have never had a problem with Scoobys but in fairness, I have never raced an STI PPP.

I test drove a PPP a few months back, despite all of the torque, it never felt that much quicker then the S and I got straight back into the S afterwards.

In terms of all the ones I have "raced" these have always been standard and some of the older WRX imports. Every time, I have found that the S pulls on the Scoob. Few more horsies and a lot less weight. Plus the S is RWD. There must be some transmission loss with the Scoobys 4WD system as well.

Had an interesting one with an older WRX wagon a few weeks ago. Was at a roundabout and he screamed past as I was watitng to go. Gave chase and started pulling on him from about 35 - 90 kph's. Out of nowhere, his exhaust started giving off flames so I presume he had NOS ???

Anyway, he still didn't pull away but I pulled back as I was worried about getting flamed literally plus conditions weren't fantastic and the gf was getting a bit nervous by this point !!!!

Quick Reply: Blown away by a Scooby this morning..........