UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bit of a scare....

Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of a scare....

My 'S' is normally a weekend car only, but for the last week I've been driving into work as I have temporary access to a secure underground car park close to the office.

Anyway, on the way to work this morning on an A road - doing approx. 35mph - I heard a loud 'POP' followed by metal on metal knocking sounds - this sound was in conjunction with my speed, i.e the faster I went, the fast the knocking sound was. Didn't know WTF it could be, but after another few hundred yards it stopped - being only another 5 minutes to work and unable to pull over, I carry on...

...Arriving at my destination I get out and find a long metal wire (2 foot long) with the thickness of a coat hanger wedged in between my side strake. I guess in a way, I'm glad that's all it was and nothing mechanical!!

Just thought I'd share my experience as I thought it was a pretty wierd thing to happen and certainly gave me a scare.... any similar experiences?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did something similar on my first S.
Only it went through the tyre that was 3 days old
I'd check your tyre
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hit a duck when my car was only 3 or 4 days old.

It decided to take off from just next to the road as i drove past at about 30mph with the roof down. It took off straight into my path but managed to get enough height so that it slithered up the bonnet and glanced off the windscreen, literally shitting itself with fear all the way and leaving the windscreen virtually obscured with duck shit. It then flew off apparently unharmed.

With an obscured windscreen and traveling at 30mph i washed the windscreen. Only for the duck shit laden washer fluid to work its way up the windscreen and drip over the top into my face
Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 AM

sorry
Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Aug 5 2009, 10:11 AM

With an obscured windscreen and traveling at 30mph i washed the windscreen. Only for the duck shit laden washer fluid to work its way up the windscreen and drip over the top into my face
LOL...

The closest experience I've had to that, is once hitting a pidgeon at about 30mph in a company car Mini. The pidgeon popped, and looking in my rear mirror - i see a cloud of feathers which a convertible open top bmw then drove through.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Aug 5 2009, 09:52 AM
I did something similar on my first S.
Only it went through the tyre that was 3 days old
I'd check your tyre
checked and all seems okay - certainly appears to have no punctures or anything. Will have another look when I pick the 'S' up this evening.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 AM

I hit a pheasant at 70 while being tailgated by a beemer. That must have scared the crud out of him.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by mtrueman,Aug 5 2009, 12:38 PM
I hit a pheasant at 70 while being tailgated by a beemer. That must have scared the crud out of him.
if you're reffering to the pheasant, I think you might have done more than just scare him at 70mph, lol

Another experience I had actually made me feel sick - just picked up the 'S' on the way home at night, and there was a dead cat lying in the middle of the road (an A road again). By the time I actually spotted the poor thing, it was too late and ended up running over it hearing it "clunk" under the car. Looking in the rear view mirror, I see it rolling along..... feel sick just thinking about it now, and I've just had lunch.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was driving through Plymouth in the beater when the van in front of me ran over what I thought was a road sign.
It flipped up and span through the air (Im doing about 50mph) and connected with the front bumper.

It was actually a brand new builders spade and it came down on the bonnet like a meat cleaver - the handle struck the bumper and it was upright.

Did a lot of damage but luckily it didn't come through the windscreen.

My dad still has the slightly bent spade
Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 AM

I was driving through Wales on Easter Sunday about five years ago in my 406 coupe. I must have been doing about 60 when a rabbit scurried out into the road, right under my N/S front wheel.

The little fella pretty much exploded and a hundred yards down the road I started to hear a "scraping" sound.

When I stopped and looked under the car (fearing I'd find a bloody pelt caught between the disc and pad) I saw that it had smashed one of the panels under the car which was hanging off and dragging along the road.

Quick Reply: Bit of a scare....