UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bike racks

Old 07-30-2013, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike racks

I know there have been threads in teh past but I can't get the stupid search to work for some reason.

I'm very keen to take my bike to the Loire when I take the S there in early September. I recall that people have mentioned the Saris racks, but is there any reason why this much less expensive option wouldn't work? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollywood-Ex...cmu_pg__header

jm
Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 AM

Looks good to me! You may need a number plate as yours will be obscured, and I don't know whether your lights will be visible? I know that I have used a similar rack and used a trailer board with lights and number plate on in the past,(on a Renault Espace) but obviously you won't have a towbar electrics point.There again, I saw a lot of these on my recent drive through France, and not everyone bothered!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:06 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Thread here (found using google, not the search here!) https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/742...nes-bike-rack/
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use this one on my S2000, works a treat, it's on once of twice a week! I remove the wheels and put them in the boot for less drag and so the lights are still visible. I've also put down some clear vinyl onto the paintwork where the pads touch to protect the paint. I also cut the bar down so it only fits one bike.

The Saris rack looks a bit big and clunky.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/prod...cycle-carriers
Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by bartonbeau
Looks good to me! You may need a number plate as yours will be obscured, and I don't know whether your lights will be visible? I know that I have used a similar rack and used a trailer board with lights and number plate on in the past,(on a Renault Espace) but obviously you won't have a towbar electrics point.There again, I saw a lot of these on my recent drive through France, and not everyone bothered!
Ah, plate - good point. Think I might try to wing the lights idea as that will be complicated, or else remove wheels and give to someone else to carry in their bigger vehicle as sugegsted elsewhere.

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Thread here (found using google, not the search here!) https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/742...nes-bike-rack/

Originally Posted by SCZ4
I use this one on my S2000, works a treat, it's on once of twice a week! I remove the wheels and put them in the boot for less drag and so the lights are still visible. I've also put down some clear vinyl onto the paintwork where the pads touch to protect the paint. I also cut the bar down so it only fits one bike.

The Saris rack looks a bit big and clunky.
Looks good and reassuring that these things obviously can be used on the S. I can get teh Hollywood one for £37 though which I think makes it a bit of a no-brainer to have a punt on. Unless anyone else has any helpful suggestions I will order one and report back.

Cheers all,

jm
Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That rack on Amazon looks like it'll fit just fine. When I bought the rack above it was around the same price!

I would most definitely take the wheels off, don't mess around with light boards etc. But to do this, I had to remove my spare wheel from the boot, I was going to to do this anyway, it's just a weekend car, add weight!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Sorry for the thread revival - but I'm about to buy a MTB off the cycle to work scheme & looking for advice on the best way to transport it on the S.

How did the original posters get on with the Amazon Rack?

& also has anyone ever used the Saris Bones 1 system?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 AM

I have used the saris bones rack on a mk1 mr2. Bit of fun to adjust it up but rock solid with 2 bikes on at 80leptons. Use either clear vinyl or magnetic patches to prevent damage to paint.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 AM

When I got my S, I recycled the Argos bike rack I had been using on my Golf which seems to work perfectly fine with 2 30lb bikes on it. One issue I had is some slight marking on the bootlid the first time I fitted it, so I use a thick microfibre cloth on the bootlid under the rack. I have also added some heli-tape where the clips attach to the lid.

I have also wired it for a trailer board, to keep the insurance and the rozzers happy and I have also lost the towing eye cover (presumably from the extra weight the rack carries) which I new need to replace (for about £10).

I know a lot of people say DON'T DO IT but the days I wanna ride my bike, are the same days I want to drive my car.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On Sunday I finally tested out my tow-bar mounted Thule carrier, was pretty nice not having to deform the boot skin pulling straps etc plus it kept all that sh1t away from my the paintwork

Quick Reply: Bike racks