UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The big "quest for more power" thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already emailed Comptech to ask the question. Still waiting on a reply. I'm an impatient sod when I get a head of steam up!

Well just got off the phone about the donor car deal may get done next week

Any one want to buy an 06
Old 09-17-2006, 05:54 AM

I got mine off the 4sale yank forum a while ago.

Mine ran lean righ out of the box, I don't think the Mugen exhaust, manifold and decat helped matters.

What I can tell you is, if your happy with the standard power and your A/F's are good stick with that.
If you want more boost (5 psi gets boring after a couple of weeks)
the only way is to go full standalone engine management, I've tried 2 piggyback systems and they just dont work, tuners in the UK are shite when it comes to S2000's.

Mines on SORN until October then I'll try a standalone system, the tuners talked the talk and it sounded ok but we will see.

Until someone can say this EMS will work and these tuners are good its hit and miss.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:01 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you got in contact with Ma$e, Mark? He is reputedly very experienced on S2000's and AEM.

Mikey says he is in the Uk soon.

http://www.masetuning.com/europe.html

It will run lean with those mods, I have heard a decat system can lean out a whole point on its own.

MB
Old 09-17-2006, 06:20 AM

running as stock as possible with the stock SC application seems to be the safest way to go in the UK. Too much time and money is need to improve on that. If Vortech got their support act together I'd have gone that route.

I'm tempted to fit a real time AFR meter with logging just so I can keep an eye on it and prevent it running too lean. I'm going to aim for 12.5 @ WOT for safety. To keep it stand alone I think I'll add another port to the header. Any other gauges worth doing?

Intake temp to manifold?
Oil pressure/temp?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:25 AM
MB

Ive just bought an SPA Dual digital oil temp / pressure. It would go nicely into the brass fitting that also acts as an oil feed for the S/C (see my S/C pics)

You decided on which Wideband mikey?

Wouldnt be too fussed about intake temps, but EGT might be worth a look. I dont know what a healthy reading is on these cars though!

MB
Old 09-17-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Sep 17 2006, 03:01 PM
Have you got in contact with Ma$e, Mark? He is reputedly very experienced on S2000's and AEM.

Mikey says he is in the Uk soon.

http://www.masetuning.com/europe.html

It will run lean with those mods, I have heard a decat system can lean out a whole point on its own.

MB
Yeah I sent him a email a while ago but didn't get no answer, how about a group buy on this guy. http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/church...esting/id1.html

$1100.00 a day.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Sep 17 2006, 03:25 PM
Ive just bought an SPA Dual digital oil temp / pressure. It would go nicely into the brass fitting that also acts as an oil feed for the S/C (see my S/C pics)

You decided on which Wideband mikey?

Wouldnt be too fussed about intake temps, but EGT might be worth a look. I dont know what a healthy reading is on these cars though!

MB
I'm considering this

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=67

But I want something I can hide away that will give an alarm and allow me to data log I keep coming back to that PLX system you had

Yeah EGT seems to be a good indicator, but like you say no data. I presumed I could get useful data on the intake temp after the SC to see whether the AC was needed or not.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:37 PM

I've really started looking into this now and I've decided i'm going vortech with ems so i can up the power at a later date if I want too.

I don't really understand the need for these data loggers/guages though, surely once the car has been properly setup that'll be it unless you make any other modifications?

Am i looking at this too simply or is it just a case of just personally wanting to keep track of what afr's you've been running etc?

teach me

Rick
Old 09-18-2006, 12:56 PM
MB

Well, call me cautious but I think some information is minimal. Ive kind of been brought up this way though I had much more on my scoobs. One of them had an ECU diagnostic onboard, AFR meter, knocklink, boost, oil temp and pressure. You come to rely on them when a car is in a higher state of tune.

Im not saying you need that much on a S/C application, but think of it as protecting your investment. You are right that most of the time, once a car is setup it should stay that way - but things can go wrong. For instance how would you know if the car started running lean on open loop fuelling, maybe due to a bust / failing map sensor? Answer is that only really a wideband will tell you. You are also relying on the ECU being setup in a few hours with fairly similar ambinet conditions etc - so it has been known for a car to misbehave at a later date.

Id say a minimum of a wideband lambda and some temp monitoring. Being able to log it isnt a must, as you can get ones which alarm, or simply just give it a glance (when you can!) I just liked to log things to learn how the car was behaving.

Its even more of a must if you are using the stock Vortech / Comptech fuelling....

MB
Old 09-18-2006, 01:06 PM
MB

http://www.linkecu.com/products/Ancillary%...vices/KnockLink

http://www.turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=212

These are good for knock monitoring. I dont know anyone with a scoob that doesnt have one A lot of the EVO / Skyline guys use them too. The kncok profile on the S appears to be linear, where the scoob peaks at about 4k rpm. Again, its just a bit of a guide. (ideally setup on a dyno with det cans)

MB

Quick Reply: The big "quest for more power" thread