UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

beware !!!

Old 06-15-2004, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beware !!!

A guy here advertised his merc conv , a guy comes round, decides to buy it etc. He turns up a few days later with a bank draft . Mate goes to bank and is told bank draft is a fake . Mate is not insured for this a this is gaining the car by deception which you are not insured against . So he basically rings the police up explains, interviews etc and nothing happens for two weeks . After 2 weeks he has basically written off getting his car back or the 20 grand . Then a letter from DVLC comes through post saying the new owners want to tax the car and he hasnt filled in the log book . He calls the DVLC and explains the car has been stolen so DVLC ask him to get Police to call them up so they can give the Police the address as they wont give it out to him . He calls the police who have done sweet FA as the guy has been on his hols and hadnt bothered notifying the DVLC about the stolen car

So police get his car back (Last night) from the new owners who have been duped in to buying his car off the git that gave him the draft , they paid cash and are now 20,000 grand out of pocket

So next time someone offeres you a bankers draft to buy your car , wait to it clears .
Old 06-15-2004, 05:36 AM

A bad story. I'd always worked on the basis that bankers drafts were safe
Old 06-15-2004, 05:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisWells
A bad story.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Even bloody cash aint safe these days.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:40 AM

bankers drafts are indeed safe but only if they are genuine. Too much risk with selling anything nowadays. Good points raised in this story, don't let the car out of your sight until everything is paid and cleared. I remember reading another similar story on here or another forum where it took the bank nearly three days to find out it was fake.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:51 AM

You should be able to phone the bank in question and get them to confirm that the bankers draft is genuine.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by sammyc
You should be able to phone the bank in question and get them to confirm that the bankers draft is genuine.

good idea
Old 06-15-2004, 06:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

there is a similar scam going around where someone pays by check. they let you put the check into your account and let it clear and you then give them the car. a few days later the cheque is declared void as the check book has been stolen and the money is removed from your account by the bank. unfortuantly, you are now without your car and the money.

moral of the story, only allow cash.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:15 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kind of scam is shocking, but it doesn't surprise me at all. In the past when I have sold cars I have taken the buyer to their bank so that they can draw the cash or take a bankers draft out in front of me.
Call me paranoid , but in the end your just looking out for yourself.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by LTB
This kind of scam is shocking, but it doesn't surprise me at all. In the past when I have sold cars I have taken the buyer to their bank so that they can draw the cash or take a bankers draft out in front of me.
Call me paranoid , but in the end your just looking out for yourself.

This is the only way to do it, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: beware !!!