UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Best Intake?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Intake?

I dont want to spend 800 quid on the awesome j's racing intake system or similar systems like mugen because i see them as expensive engine bay eye candy. Iv seen aem v2 and from previous experience in my civic with integra engine i had a hybrid aem cold air intake and it made a fantastic noise and accentuated the vtec and i would say improved performance although it loved to suck in rain or water as it was positioned right in the lower corner. Can someone shed some light on this set up for s2000 or shall i just keep it stock and get a spoon air scoop? Im looking for something that helps performance and improves the audible aura of the f20c...so which is best bang for buck?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:12 AM

your best bet will be upgrade filter with the spoon /J's snorkel. Stick some foil paper on the air box to reduce the temp as i had seen many japanese done the same.....hoep this helps
Old 07-07-2008, 12:22 AM

AEM V2

Sounds superb and draws air from the front bumber behind the faux vent so in theory should produce more power due to reduced heat soak. The Injen is a very similar design and there's not much between them. A few have dyno'd and there's a number of threads on this with little between them and TBH not much gain for either overall. I've cut the faux vent out and fitted a 316 stainless steel grill which should facilitate a pressure drop resulting in that 'choons' effect.

The main benefits for me are:

noise
reduced heatsoak and kangarooing
noise
improved throttle response
noise
improved power???

The downsides are:

fitting involves cutting part of fender liner
decreased mpg
Old 07-07-2008, 12:53 AM

PRM, AEM V2 or Injen, all work on the same basis, get the cheapest out the 3.

Don't forget to get a Hydro-shield (waterproof cover for the filter cone)
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

K&N Gen II ...I'm biased off course.
Easy to fit (less than 2 hours), sound fantastic (infact they sound like Satan is trying to escape from under the bonnet), extra 9bhp (alleged increase), no cutting or damage to the car and all for
Old 07-07-2008, 01:32 AM

Doesn't the PRM draw air from the engine bay? I thinmk some have modded with ducting hose to feed air from the bumper section though...

As for the hydroshield, i've not found it to be necessary. The newer AEM's come with a self draining crocodile nipple which drains under water pressure and closes during normal operation so unless you make a habit of using the S to traverse fjords and waterways you shouldn't have any problems. It is worth covering the drainage hole from the engine bay or making an umbrella to cover the filter.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh the this old chestnut Just a quick one.

None of them are going to give you big gains, the aem maybe 3bhp at a push and little bit more torque.

Theres lots of threads so do a search and you will find some good info
Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Jul 7 2008, 11:34 AM
Theres lots of threads so do a search and you will find some good info

I did lots of reading and research before I purchased mine... and enjoyed it to be honest!. All good stuff
Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevRanger,Jul 7 2008, 09:26 AM
extra 9bhp (alleged increase)
I'd take that was a massive pinch of salt.

You'll be lucky if you get a couple of hp increase with any of these intakes, in fact some of them may even lose you a few.

The only thing I noticed after fitting mine apart from the noise was a slight increase in throttle response.

I have the AEM V2.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Jul 7 2008, 11:23 AM
I'd take that was a massive pinch of salt.

You'll be lucky if you get a couple of hp increase with any of these intakes, in fact some of them may even lose you a few.

The only thing I noticed after fitting mine apart from the noise was a slight increase in throttle response.

I have the AEM V2.

Quick Reply: Best Intake?