UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Best gauge pods and gauges?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best gauge pods and gauges?

Hi Guys,

What's the best gauge pods for s2k. I like subtle. Even hidden away.

Does anyone know if you can buy a tv style head unit that has gauge fitments. In a "fast an furious" stylee? Now that would be perfect, sensors all wired up to head unit screen?

Or am I dreaming again lol

Steve
Old 05-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your dreaming again!

People are messing with windows based tablet PCs and AEM tuner/pro. You'd need to have an AEM ecu and develop a dash mount.

I like the AEM gauges here's a shot of them on the dash. Since that I removed the boost gauge ( no longer needed it as I ditched the turbo setup for sc ) and velcrod them to the dash instead of gaffer tape lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61873555@N06/5628062756/http://www.flickr.com/photos/61873555@N06/5628062756/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/61873555@N06/, on Flickr

People also use the A Pillar mounts, IMHO they attract too much outside attention though do the job better than other solutions.

AEM gauges are very popular, their uego is good and the serial gauge is excellent though a bit tricky to setup,
PLX do nice gauges as well but they look like a bit of a faf on with modules and sensors etc plus they are really expensive.
SPA do a combined oil temp/pressure gauge which popular too.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I like to dream, however I did dream of owning a 600hp 6 speed sequential boxed s2000 and it seems to e coming true lol. Well......... I think it is lol

That's great thanks, I only really want boost, oil temp and oil pressure. I would have kept boost if I was you. To see if you are loosing any due to loose hoses etc
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Thats the important part oof the dream

Boost on a supercharger is not something that is going to turn the engine into a grenade so i don't display it. If i thought it was down on power i can look at what the ecu has recorded in its data log.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I like to dream, however I did dream of owning a 600hp 6 speed sequential boxed s2000 and it seems to e coming true lol.
[/quote]

Please tell us more

Defi do a setup like you describe,but its expensive,around £1000-1200 I think,(but if you are paying £7500 for a gearbox then £1000 for gauges is loose change )I have normal Defi gauges,oil pressure/temp and boost.My gauges are 62 mm which are way too big.(check out page 3 of my build thread)I think I may flush fit them into the centre of the dash and then have it flocked.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I opted for a Defi gauge setup myself. I got them second hand from a previous owner from here, but brand new they are very expensive. They are very easy to install and setup. I opted for oil pressure and oil temp mounted in the A pillar, although I have looked into custom dash mounts, but never found anything to my liking.

With regards to more subtle installations, I do know that they used to make a set that would mount into the radio door which were nearly flush. Annoyingly Richs no longer make them.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mugen Power have the assist meters. They are actually defi gauges in a custom made pod made for Mugen.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by razzele
Boost on a supercharger is not something that is going to turn the engine into a grenade so i don't display it.
I got 2 gauges in an SOS A pillar pod. I do display boost on one of them as I have my AEM setup so that I only go into VTEC if in +ve boost and therefore want to know the boost so I can force VTEC if required.

Having it set like this allows higher revs without going into VTEC. With a 4.625 final drive I was almost permanently in VTEC and this was a PITA on motorways.

My other gauge is the AFR.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally i have an AFR gauge, boost gauge and multi gauge that reads things from the OBD2.

I think a boost gauge is useful on some setups as you can get belt slip with an SC.

Shameless plug here but i have a complete AEM wideband setup and gauge for sale in the for sale section - PM me if intersted.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 AM

That's really strange eSem, normally it's set to come in above a certain throttle percentage and rpm. For my car vtec is set to come in at throttle over 66% and rpm over 4k. With a sc charger wouldn't you always be making boost if the throttle is open?

Quick Reply: Best gauge pods and gauges?